Recipe Southern Shrimp and Cheesy Quinoa

caseydog

Local time
6:51 PM
This is a play on Southern US Shrimp and Cheesy Grits. This is one portion. Adjust ingredients for more portions.

Cheesy Quinoa

1/2 cup white quinoa
1 cup water
1 cup (loose) fresh shredded mild or medium cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Milk as needed to keep the mixture smooth and creamy

Rinse the quinoa thoroughly. Put in saucepan with water, bring to a low boil, reduce to simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Fluff cooked quinoa. Add cheese blend and stir. Add milk slowly as needed to keep a smooth, creamy mixture.

Shrimp

5/6 large shrimp, pealed and de-veined, rinsed and dried
A few pinches of granulated garlic
A few pinches of cayenne pepper
2 TBSP unsalted butter
2 TBSP olive oil

Dust the shrimp with granulated garlic and cayenne pepper. Heat a pan with butter and OO to medium high. When oil/butter is foaming, place shrimp in the pan. Cook shrimp one minute or just a little more per side. Look for a nice color. Do not overcook!

Plate your cheesy quinoa, place shrimp on top. Garnish with freshly ground pepper and sliced green onions.

ShrimpCheesyQuinoa01.jpg

CD

Throw in some onion, mixed color bell peppers or preferably just red for me, and some andouille, and you'll have low country shrimp and quinoa.

I usually make a quick stock with just the shrimp shells and use that to cook the grits or quinoa in this recipe.

Throw in some onion, mixed color bell peppers or preferably just red for me, and some andouille, and you'll have low country shrimp and quinoa.

I usually make a quick stock with just the shrimp shells and use that to cook the grits or quinoa in this recipe.

I considered making some shrimp stock with the shells, but wasn't sure how that would mesh with the cheese, so I didn't do it. Without the cheese, I probably would have done it.

CD

I considered making some shrimp stock with the shells, but wasn't sure how that would mesh with the cheese, so I didn't do it. Without the cheese, I probably would have done it.

CD

It's fine. A short cook of 20-30 minutes doesn't make a strong flavor. I do it every time I make low country shrimp and grits. I also use it in the "gravy" with the onions, bell peppers, andouille, etc.

It's fine. A short cook of 20-30 minutes doesn't make a strong flavor. I do it every time I make low country shrimp and grits. I also use it in the "gravy" with the onions, bell peppers, andouille, etc.

"Low Country" cooking is more Southeast coastal cooking, like South Carolina and Georgia. I've never really done any of that cooking. My shrimp and cheesy quinoa were more Alabama and Mississippi style. Both are good, just different.

You already know the difference, of course, but I thought I'd explain it to the many people on the forum who may not.

CD

I could down two bowls of that quite easily. Those shrimp look perfectly cooked. Awesome use of quinoa!

Back
Top Bottom