Spaghetti on toast anyone?

Ditto. I have tried a canned ravioli in a meat sauce once.....it all kinda fell apart and was pretty sweet and salty, that's about all I remember.....It was convenient at the time.....camping in the rain meets convenient store. :thumbsup:

In all my years of camping, and camp cooking (I used to teach camp cooking at REI), I never made pasta, which is strange, since dried pasta weighs nothing, which would have been good in my wilderness backpack camping days.

I used to sometimes buy the canned ravioli when I lived in the dormitory in college. I could pop some in the microwave on a Sunday, when the dorm cafeteria wasn't open.

CD

I used to beg my mom for canned ravioli when I was a kid. For one thing, it was considered a luxury item at the house, in that it was completely unnecessary, and ravioli was something my mom would never make from scratch.

They'd serve it with school lunches in the cafeteria, and I'd think, "This must be what it's like to be Elvis or the queen of England - you just say 'Ravioli!' and snap your fingers, and the staff instantly appear with a big bowl of Chef Boyardee!"

I get sucked into that still, and about once every two or three years, they'll have it on an endcap display, and I'll think, "Ahhhh, remember when you would have sold your soul for a can of that?" - they'll I'll buy it, heat it up, take a bite, and shed a little tear over thinking I ever liked that stuff. :laugh:

...and just an aside. An essential ingredient for Italian food is olive oil.
The only olive oil we had in our house was in the medicine cabinet, and was used for earache:eek::eek:

...and just an aside. An essential ingredient for Italian food is olive oil.
The only olive oil we had in our house was in the medicine cabinet, and was used for earache:eek::eek:

Same here when I was a kid. It wasn't stocked in supermarkets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom