Spaghetti on toast anyone?

Newly imported by me for this very purpose. I like it on toasted white bread and with some grated cheddar on top:

[Mod.Edit: this and following few posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]

I think MypinchofItaly would be truly shocked. Its basically tinned spaghetti (which comes in a tomato sauce) heated up and put on toast. Its originally a UK thing and I often had it as a kid. In fact, it was the only pasta we ever had in my house. The spaghetti is pre-cooked and is certainly not 'al dente' and the sauce is rather 'gloopy' as I think it contains corn flour (cornstarch). Heinz originally introduced it in 1926 (I learned). You can also get tinned spaghetti hoops in tomato sauce.

Here is a tin:

View attachment 74210
Oh. I am a bit surprised, but if it keeps getting sold...people are buying it...there must be something to it🤷😄

Just remembered, several years ago, I had bought ready pasta with tom sauce in a plastic container. Meant to be reheated in the microwave. I did eat it on several occasions at work, where we had then recently acquired a microwave.

The cost was 2,20 Usd. Whereas one can buy 1 kg of uncooked pasta for 0,90 usd. It was cost inefficient.

It was dissapointing,as the quantity of sauce was scarce, and the taste undefined, overall the portion felt underweigth, but it still provided food.

Can't remember the brand,though.

Oh. I am a bit surprised, but if it keeps getting sold...people are buying it...there must be something to it🤷😄

Little kids like it because its easy to eat (its soft and slips down) - plus, in the UK and NZ it is 'nostalgia food' especially for people of a certain age and possibly class. As I mentioned before, when I was a kid (in the 50's and early 60's) it was the only pasta we had in the house. There was no dried pasta. In those days pretty well the only pasta you could buy (outside London, I suppose) was tinned spaghetti or dried macaroni. In working class families, macaroni was only used to make a milky pudding or macaroni cheese in those days.

However, the famous Elizabeth David who had travelled extensively, wrote 'Italian Food' in the early 1950's. She is credited with changing the face of British cooking. It took a long time for that change to filter down to the kind of society I grew up in!

I never liked spaghetti until recently. A takeaway joint I go to do a toasty with spaghetti then cheese on top .
Iys yummy..we keep cans here for grandkids. They are growing up with it .

Russ

20211102_111707.jpg

Little kids like it because its easy to eat (its soft and slips down) - plus, in the UK and NZ it is 'nostalgia food' especially for people of a certain age and possibly class. As I mentioned before, when I was a kid (in the 50's and early 60's) it was the only pasta we had in the house. There was no dried pasta. In those days pretty well the only pasta you could buy (outside London, I suppose) was tinned spaghetti or dried macaroni. In working class families, macaroni was only used to make a milky pudding or macaroni cheese in those days.

However, the famous Elizabeth David who had travelled extensively, wrote 'Italian Food' in the early 1950's. She is credited with changing the face of British cooking. It took a long time for that change to filter down to the kind of society I grew up in!
Like you I'm a product of that age, where money was tight. Like you say I have nostalgic memories

Russ

Yep. Money and food was tight, even 15 years after the war.
The first time I ever ate "real" pasta was at a summer camp in St Tropez - 1966. My mum wouldn´t have had a clue how to cook it. My sis never liked the Heinz stuff - said it looked like worms.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

We always had beans on toast. I never had "proper" pasta until about 20 years ago. I recently made 6 portions of lasagne for the freezer. This talk is making me want this.

Russ

We always had beans on toast. I never had "proper" pasta until about 20 years ago. I recently made 6 portions of lasagne for the freezer. This talk is making me want this.

Russ

Being from an Italian American family, we had spaghetti a lot when I was a kid. Homemade sauce, and all. It was actually a pretty cheap way to feed a family. My mom wasn't a good cook, but her MIL taught her how to make a good tomato sauce, and a really good lasagna.

I don't recall us EVER having canned spaghetti in our house as a kid.

CD

Being from an Italian American family, we had spaghetti a lot when I was a kid. Homemade sauce, and all. It was actually a pretty cheap way to feed a family. My mom wasn't a good cook, but her MIL taught her how to make a good tomato sauce, and a really good lasagna.

CD
I only ever knew anyone who was Italian when I went to high school. A guy in my class father was Italian, dark swarthy look and hard to understand. They must have changed their name to darrell. The two sons went on to join motor bike gangs.
Then when I started repping in the 80s I met the veronese bros. Genuine italian brothers who settled here after the war. Great people who I still see occasionally.
We now have some great Italian restaurants now, in fact we are going to one tonight with dinner club.

Russ

My mom would occasionally sneak Kraft boxed spaghetti mix in the house under my dad's nose - small box of dried pasta and a powdered mix for the sauce.

There was no dried pasta. In those days pretty well the only pasta you could buy (outside London, I suppose) was tinned spaghetti or dried macaroni. In working class families, macaroni was only used to make a milky pudding or macaroni cheese in those days.
That is interesting, thank you for sharing!
I did not know that.
A historic perspective lights a new light. I find it interesting that pasta was not as widespread as it is today.
Along similar lines,I do remember when I was a kid 1980s, there was merely 2-3 kinds of bread, whereas now there are 15-20.
And thinking back, we did have and cook macaroni, but not much else, and not often, oh and other tiny pasta for soups...

To some extent, it is also the expectation of the taste, what I mean is,and I notice it,with my kid sometimes, she remembers a certain taste that she likes,and expects it to be exactly the same next time. All the time. I guess there is some psychological subconscious comfort in it, I may be wrong.😎

With tinned food,that is quite easy.

With homecooking, not always...

Do you think that plays a role too? In general...

To some extent, it is also the expectation of the taste, what I mean is,and I notice it,with my kid sometimes, she remembers a certain taste that she likes,and expects it to be exactly the same next time. All the time. I guess there is some psychological subconscious comfort in it, I may be wrong.😎

With tinned food,that is quite easy.

With homecooking, not always...

Do you think that plays a role too? In general...

I'm certain that for some nostalgia comfort foods they have become so because of what you suggest. They always taste the same so the memory they evoke makes us feel comforted.

Back
Top Bottom