Recipe Spaghetti squash

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
3:46 PM
I saw this on a Food Network show, Diner's, Drive-Ins, and Dives. It looked good so I decided to try and copy the recipe. Rewatched the video several times and came up with the following.

The SS is boiled at the restaurant, but I roast it just to keep from having the added water. Cool enough to handle and fork out the strands, without damaging the shells. I usually clean out the seeds before cooking, but he didn't so they needed to be discarded.

1/4 cup chopped shallots or sweet onions
1/4 cup (maybe even a little more cause it looked like a lot to me) chopped garlic
1/2 cup red onion
1/2 cup carrot
1/2 cup celery
1/2 cup red bell
1/2 cup each yellow and zucchini squash
1/2 cup uncooked broccoli (though I decided I'd steam it some before as it was still really crunchy)
1/2 cup asapargus

Fresh Moz and parmagiano reggiano

Fresh tarragon (though I used basil since I'm not fond of tarragon)

Marinara sauce. He made a basic tomato sauce, let it cook for a bit, then added a generous splash of chianti, a handful of finely grated parm and some fresh tarragon or basil, then let it cook for a bit more.

Saute shallots and garlic until soft. Add red onion, carrot, celery, red bell and saute until softening. Add yellow and zucchini squashes and let cook for a few. Add broccoli and asparagus and saute for a few. Add a bit of salt and pepper. Give it a stir and add a decent sized ladle of marinara, stir. Add the spaghetti squash, and he added S and P again. I'd taste at this point for S and P. After it cools a bit, add fresh tarragon (or basil) and another ladle of marinara. Stir. Stuff the spaghetti squash shells, mounding filling up nicely. (It looked pretty packed.) Top each half with a couple of slices of fresh moz and parm, then bake until warmed through and cheese is nicely melted, about 20 minutes in a 375 oven. Place a nice ladle of sauce on a plate and set squash half on top.

It needed a lot of S and P, more than I would use normally, so taste as you add seasoning. I also added some grated parm and some crushed red pepper flakes to the filling because it needed something. You could probably add the red pepper flakes to the tomato sauce though if you'd rather get your heat that way.

You could make this vegan by using appropriate substitutes like nutritional yeast instead of parm, and whatever is used for a mozarella substitute.

Last edited:
@medtran49
Spaghetti Squash is so wonderful and versatile. I use it a lot in place of pasta. G's carb intake is restricted to fruit and dairy - no processed carbs or high carb veggies. I also make herbed spaghetti squash as a side.

I like your recipe. Something different to try.

Back
Top Bottom