Spam

Local time
3:44 PM
Just a head's up.....this morning I received a spam email to my registered email address, the subject line included my user name "MrsDangermouse, STOP drinking water (read this first)"
I don't usually pay that much attention to spam, but I only use this username on here so it seems likely that there's a link somewhere.
Of course I've now changed my password, but it might be an idea to look into this and/or ask people to change their passwords.

Wow, and I thought this was going to be about the canned ham known as SPAM, but this is far worse. Thank you for sharing that information!

Did you DM Morning Glory or SatNavSaysStraightOn about this?

Last edited:
Just a head's up.....this morning I received a spam email to my registered email address, the subject line included my user name "MrsDangermouse, STOP drinking water (read this first)"
I don't usually pay that much attention to spam, but I only use this username on here so it seems likely that there's a link somewhere.
Of course I've now changed my password, but it might be an idea to look into this and/or ask people to change their passwords.
Hi

I have looked into this and having done a search, your member name is in use on at least 6 or 7 other sites including myfitnesspal & Twitter, both of which are known to have been hacked and email address and passwords obtained. Both (and other forums including CycleChat, gardeners world, a flooring forum, a welding forum, another gardening forum, a recipe forum, and trip advisor) are inactive accounts. Most were made almost a decade ago ranging from 2009 to 2012 or so. I can't tell what email addresses were used, but can easily ask for CycleChat, though I doubt this site or CC have been hacked because i know the person who set up these 2 sites but I won't rule it out.

But Twitter at the very minimum is very clearly you.

Inactive accounts are still at risk. A quick search on a member name like yours or mine shows a lot to spammers/hackers and it wouldn't be hard to see that you are active on this site, plus your member name shows on 2 or 3 other forums related to food or diet (it doesn't matter that the account is not active, it shows an interest). Assumptions can easily be made by people from what I've found online. But again I don't know what email address is associated with those accounts, however people often forget about dormant accounts, especially when they've not been used for nearly a decade or more.

I have asked our server support team to look into this to see if they can see if it has been hacked, but I personally can't see anything in the logs.

At this stage, I'm not going to ask anyone except moderators to change their passwords. If members wasn't to change their password or enable 2 factor authentication, that's up to them. Both 2 factor authentication and normal password changes can be found here (https://www.cookingbites.com/account/security)

Thanks for looking into it and glad to hear that there aren't any problems, better safe than sorry :okay:

It never occurred to me to search my username on Google...and I'd totally forgotten I have a Twitter account! (shows how often I use it *lol*) Not sure about some of the other forums though.....I don't think welding or flooring is my kind of thing :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom