Recipe Spanish Canapés Alta Cocina Tapas

Francesca

Local time
10:35 AM
Top notch or alta cocina tapas have been innovated and created by uncountable Chefs and here a few to wet your appetite ..

1) Montadito de Salmón ( & Red Prawns)

Slice a baguette into 1 inch thick slices. With a "pipette" or eye dropper, squirt or squeeze a couple of drops of Extra Virgin Olive Oil on the bread .. To layer: Place 2 tsps of home made Ali Oli or Mayonnaise on bread on top of the Evoo, then the smoked salmon and top off with 2 red prawns, deveined and de-shelled and place either an anchovy or a "boquerone" which is a fresh marinated anchovy or a fresh sardine marinated in garlic and Champagne or Sherry vinegar on top .. Voila ! Pairs wonderfully with Sparkling Wines ..

2) Rulo de Queso de Cabra ( A Yule Log of Fresh Goat Cheese ) with Dried Fruits

In a large glass bowl place: 2 tsps of Sherry or Champagne vinegar, 1 tablsp of bio honey, 2 tblsps of Spanish Evoo, and with a stand up mixer, combine the ingredients .. Now, mince: 1 dried apricot, 1 walnut or 2 hazelnuts, 1 dried fig, 1 date which you de-pit, and a couple of Golden raisins. Combine with the Vinaigrette and drizzle on top of a thick slice of fresh goat cheese. Heaven .. Pairs wonderfully with Cava or Prosecco or other sparkling wines.

3) Tartaleta de Bacalao ( Cod Fish Dish on a Canapé )

Slice a baguette into inch thick slices and with a pipette or eye dropper squirt or squeeze or drizzle the Evoo onto the bread ..
Now, take 225 grams of fresh cod fish just steamed at low temperature or use de-salted if you prefer soaked over night, and place it into a large glass bowl. Add Evoo and the juice of 1/2 of a médium size lemon, 1 small clove of garlic minced, salt and black freshly ground pepper, and garnish is 1 red bell or red horn sweet pepper sliced into length wise strips .. Prepare the dip and refrig for 2 to 3 hours ( not with bell pep or horn pep). Let it come to room temperature and spread on the oiled canapé bread slices and spread the cod fish dip which is combined with a stand up mixer and place 1 or 2 strips of red bell or red horn. One can sub, Pimientos de Piquillo Basque Red Pepper strips sold world wide in Latin Markets & supermarkets .. Serve with a sparkling wine or a Chablis or Albariño. Also, capers or olives or fresh tomato are lovely garnishes and frequently used in Spain thru out the country ..

4) Huevos Rellenos with Crab or Prawn Salad .. ( Stuffed Eggs ) ..

I am a grand fan of hard boiled eggs and especially when stuffed or in a salad .. Here is the preparation.
6 large or extra large hard boiled eggs ..
Salt.
1 / 2 dozen or 1 dozen large prawns
2 teasp ali oli or home made Mayonnaise
1 tsp of Dijon

1) Steam the prawns to just done or sauté them 1 minute per side or until coral and do not over sauté or over steam ..
2) Run some ice wáter over them or let cool on their own ..
3) Dice the prawns and place in glass bowl
4) Add the Mayo or Ali Oli and salt to taste
5) Now add the Dijon and some fresh minced parsely and freshly ground black pepper ..
6) Add the hard boiled egg yolks and combine quickly with a stand up mixer.
7) Let mixture cool and place in refrig for 2 hours
8) Place the room temperature prawn mixture into the whites of the eggs carefully.
9) Refrig until read to use.
10) Slice the whites of the eggs into 4 parts and place on a Canapé bread slice drizzled with Spanish extra virgin olive oil .. Sprinkle with fresh minced parsley or freshly minced dill sprigs with fronds ..

Serve with a Cava or Prosecco ..

Last edited:
@Francesca

Your recipes are divine!

I had the privilege of visiting Spain in '84 complements of the USN Reserves. I traveled with two other members of my reserve unit. 2 1/2 weeks in Rota. It was more of a work vacation. We reported to work at 7 a.m. Lunch at 11. By 1 p.m. our supervisors turned us loose. We had to report back by 4 p.m. either in person or by phone from the barracks. Pre cell phone days. Guess what we did. Phone. Per diem is usually not authorized when living in the barracks. This was an exception. We took turns renting a vehicle and made the most of our very generous time off.

That was my first experience with Tapas. One of the enlisted members stationed in Rota took us out "Tapa Hopping". I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

I could go on and on about my wonderful experience in Spain. When my duty was over I changed my flight schedule and spent 4 days in Madrid. Another amazing experience.

@ElizabethB

Wow .. I had no idea you were in the Navy and were stationed in Rota .. Fantastic !!

I am sure you had a grand time surely on a " Tapas Crawl " as it now labelled in British English .. Tapas Hopping is a blast to say the least, going from one bar or tavern to another to sample the specials of each bar which vary depending on the owner & creator of the Tapas ..

I am truly pleased to hear that you had such a marvelous experience in Spain .. Madrid is a dazzling dynamic city which has grown into the Manhattan of Europe and has had enormous renovations and reforming of its historical architecture and of course, it has some of the best tapas bars in the country ..

The whole subway system was completely renovated and extended along with the long distance trains that go inter province and the airport of Madrid is a 1st class masterpiece and one of the most beautiful airports with a Brand new terminal ( number 4 ) for international flights world wide ..

The city has grown quite a bit ..

Have a lovely evening and weekend ..

Back
Top Bottom