Spice mixes

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
8:53 PM
Which spice mixes do you use and do you make your own?

I make and use:
  • Garam Masala
  • Chinese five spice
  • Jerk seasoning
  • Dukkah
I've just been given a pack of biriani spice mix (Mauritian style) which I will use, but if I like it (can't se wht I wont) then I will make the mix myself as I find it so much tastier.

You?

I make:
  • Panch Phoran (Indian 5 spice)
  • Chat Masala
  • Garam Masala (not always as shop bought is good)
  • Dukkha
  • Za'atar
  • Ras el Hanout
I think there may be others but can't think of them at the moment.

I've never come across Biryani as a spice mix... in my world Biryani is an Indian rice based dish. So - what are you putting in it and how do you use it?

I forgot about Harissa - although its more a paste than a spice mix. I think home-made is great and I make it too.

Ground turmeric, coriander, cumin, paprika, salt, cinnamon, cayenne, cardamom, garam masala, saffron, ground cloves, star anise, there was a huge list and I can't remember them all.

I used it in some Indian dishes, biryani for one, and I don't remember the others it's been so long. The Web site I had bookmarked where I got it has been marked private at some point and you need a user name and password to use it now so I can't give exacts.

There are harissa spice mixes, you grind the dried chiles and leave out the wet stuff.

Last edited:
Look at the Cochinita Pibil paste ingredients.

I did - Achiote Paste is listed as an ingredient in itself with no recipe for it (unless I'm missing something). There are of course, other spices added to make the Cochinita.

I'm going to check my packet of Achiote paste....

Baharat
Garam Masala
Za'atar
Harissa

I also make a "curry powder" from time to time for dishes that don't specify particular spices (it's a Victorian recipe which I tweaked. I posted it on here some time ago), and sometimes make chicken seasonings which vary according to the dish.

Back
Top Bottom