Spice Shops in the UK

Just a few "grates" on the grater.
And it´s not "poisonous", anymore than nutmeg, cinnamon, aubergine, peach kernels or cashew nuts are "poisonous". UNLESS it´s consumed in ridiculous amounts.

Sarcasm within multi-national forums or societies doesn't always work.

Today is June 6th 2022. My Tonka beans have a best before date of Dec. 2023. For my recipe / concoction I may grate half a bean.
For how long can I keep the other half? In other words, does the grating affect how long the bean lasts?

Today is June 6th 2022. My Tonka beans have a best before date of Dec. 2023. For my recipe / concoction I may grate half a bean.
For how long can I keep the other half? In other words, does the grating affect how long the bean lasts?
How many beans do you have, how many times will you use them?
Collectively we are unlikely to know the answer, but I bet Google has more than enough opinions, just saying.

The trouble with Google is that anyone can say what they want. It's difficult to know who to trust.

They´ll last forever if you keep them in a dry, dark place.
Only thing is, eventually, they´ll lose their flavour.
I´d ignore the "best before" date and use your tastebuds to verify their use.

I never learn with chilli powder so the first time I uses a fresh batch I blow the top of my head off 🤯

If I buy or grind a new batch of chilli powder/cayenne pepper I put a pinch on my tongue to assess it's strength. Give it about 10 seconds.

I do exactly the same, although I regret having done so with some Naga Jolokia I grew in the garden🌶️🌶️🌶️:eek::eek:

Much to the dismay of the stall holder up on Fraser Hill in Malaysia, I asked her if I could taste the chillis before buying. I couldn't speak for almost 10 minutes!

I have a small jar of naga jolokia paste in my fridge that somebody sent to me a while ago. I haven't opened it yet.

The wording is "If you play with me, you play with fire" - "Pure & Painful : Naga Ghost Chilli".

I saw these Wattleseeds Search: 2 results found for "wattle seed"
Are these edible (I'm guessing not) or do they need to be prepared in some way? If they need to be roasted, then for how long and at what temperature (celsius)? This article is not clear enough for me to form an opinion.
Wattleseed - Wikipedia

I came across these Creative Native Wattle Seed Roasted And Ground Sallow Wattle 1Kg *ON SALE* | eBay Brookies Mac. Macadamia & Wattleseed Liqueur 700ml | Gin from Australia.
A bit pricey though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom