Recipe & Video Spicy Drunken Mussels

murphyscreek

Veteran
Local time
3:04 AM
Yummmm.......served with crusty garlic bread to soak up the broth.

Recipe

Ingredients

1kg fresh (live) mussels (washed and beard removed)
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
1 rasher bacon finely chopped
5 cloves garlic chopped
1/2 brown onion chopped
1-2 tsp (optional) dried chilli flakes
Zest of one lemon
1 cup chopped parsley
2 tbsp olive oil
50 gms butter

To serve

Lemon juice
Chopped parsley
Crusty garlic bread

Method

In a saucepan (that has a lid) heat olive oil, and crisp bacon. Add onion and garlic and saute a minute or two, before adding chiili flakes (if using) for another minute. Add wine and bring to the boil. Add mussels, put on lid, and steam for a few minutes till mussels first start to open. Add parsley, lemon zest, and butter and gently mix through. Replace lid and steam another 2-3 minutes.

Place opened mussels (discarding any unopened) in a bowl or dish, and spoon hot broth over the top. Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice, a sprinkle of fresh parsley, and some crusty bread to soak up the broth.

View: https://youtu.be/EepOXHC1iHs

A classic! I can already taste the garlicky broth soaked up in crusty bread. I'm not sure if I can get decent mussels here in February, but I think it's worth a try.

Regrettably, I have found it impossible to find New Zealand green lipped mussels in the stores of late. Black mussels are always available in California, but one must be aware that they are sometimes in bad season due to toxic algae blooms.

Regrettably, I have found it impossible to find New Zealand green lipped mussels in the stores of late. Black mussels are always available in California, but one must be aware that they are sometimes in bad season due to toxic algae blooms.
I could have bought frozen NZ green lipped which probably would have still worked ok, but I waited till I knew my fishmonger was shipping in fresh black ones. I was literally there yesterday, as the delivery truck unloaded them.

Yes - a lovely classic dish. I much prefer mussels cooked this way than with cream (which seems to crop up in a lot of recipes).
It's a difficult one, I debated in my own head whether to add a little cream. I was glad I didn't once I tasted it. I've got a similar quandary (cream or no cream) for the next recipe I'm working on...a chicken liver pasta dish, and this time am leaning towards adding it.

Not sure - I think chicken livers are quite rich in any case. I suppose it might depend on the other ingredients though.
I ended up adding some, just a 1/3 of a cup compared to the 1 and 1/2 cups of madeira. I really liked the taste, but you're right in it being a quite rich dish.

Back
Top Bottom