Recipe Spicy Potato and Lentil Patties

Elawin

Guru
Local time
2:29 PM
Spicy potato and lentil patties.jpg

Makes approx. 16 patties

Ingredients:

90 g yellow split peas/lentils, soaked in cold water for an hour, then drained well
2 medium onions, chopped
40 g garlic, peeled
60 g ginger, chopped
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
500 g potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-2 cm cubes
300 ml water
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 fresh green chillies, or 6 frozen mirch green chillies, thawed
Handful of coriander (cilantro) leaves, chopped
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
Juice of 1/2 small lemon
2-3 tbsp plain (all-purpose) flour
Vegetable oil for frying

For the filling
1 red onion, very finely chopped
Juice of 1/2 small lemon
1 fresh green chilli, finely chopped
Handful of fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
Pinch of sugar
Pinch of sea salt

Method:
  1. Put the onions, garlic, ginger and water into a food processor and blend to a coarse paste.
  2. Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan over a medium heat, add the onion paste and cook for 10 minutes,
  3. Add the cubed potatoes and lentils with enough water almost to cover the potatoes. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Reduce the heat, partially cover the pan, and simmer for 20 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated.
  4. Remove the lid and cook for a further 15 minutes or so until all the liquid has evaporated. Allow to cool, then mash well.
  5. Add the green chillies, coriander, garam masala, chilli powder, cumin, the remaining salt and the lemon juice, mix well and mash again.
  6. Transfer to a bowl and stir in enough flour to bind.
  7. In a separate bowl, mix together all the filling ingredients. Leave for a few minutes, then drain off and reserve any excess liquid.
  8. Divide the mixture into approx. 16 portions. On a floured board, shape each portion into a patty about 1/2 cm thick. Place about a teaspoon of the filling into the middle of each patty, draw the edges around to cover the filling, then flatten into a patty about 5 mm thick.
  9. Place the patties on to a tray and chill for about an hour.
  10. Pour enough oil into a large frying pan just to cover the base, and heat over a medium heat. Slide the patties carefully into the pan, in batches, and fry for about 3 minutes per side until golden brown and just starting to go crispy.
  11. Serve warm with a fruity pickle or chutney, yoghurt and flat breads. Sprinkle with the reserved liquid or a little lemon juice, if desired.
Notes:
  1. It is important that all the cooking liquid has evaporated. If the patties are still sticky, add a bit more flour to the mixture.
  2. For a finer mixture, put the cooked ingredients and spices into a food processor instead of mashing.
  3. If the patties break when putting in the pan or when turning, they are easily repaired and reshaped using a couple of dessertspoons.
  4. This recipe has been adapted from a recipe for Shami Kebabs from Rick Stein's India. The original recipe contains minced lamb instead of potatoes and some beaten egg as well as the flour to bind the mixture. The cooking time in my adaptation has been altered to allow for the extra moisture in the potato/lentil mixture. The accompaniments have also been changed.
  5. They freeze well, but if frozen cooked seem to be best thawed out before heating through in a frying pan and then given a quick zap on a high heat to crisp them up again. If frozen "raw", they should be cooked the same way as frozen burgers.

Last edited:
An idea, whether it Works or not, I haven´t the slightest idea, however, here it is:

I would dust the patties lightly in chickpea flour to prevent the oil you are frying with, to seep into your lentil burgers ..

It will also provide an amazingly light and lovely golden crust that adds texture, a light crunch !

An idea, whether it Works or not, I haven´t the slightest idea, however, here it is:

I would dust the patties lightly in chickpea flour to prevent the oil you are frying with, to seep into your lentil burgers ..

It will also provide an amazingly light and lovely golden crust that adds texture, a light crunch !
I just used ordinary plain (all-purpose) on the board when I made them, and they were crispy and golden on the outside, not at all oily. Even in my non-stick pan, in which I usually dry fry food, I had to use a little oil; but I will give chickpea flour a try next time I make them.

I just used ordinary plain (all-purpose) on the board when I made them, and they were crispy and golden on the outside, not at all oily. Even in my non-stick pan, in which I usually dry fry food, I had to use a little oil; but I will give chickpea flour a try next time I make them.

@Elawin

Chickpea flour is amazing .. Glad to hear you shall try it and it is much healthier may I add !!

White flour is bleached !! This industrial process is a disaster ..

Let me know how it turns out ..

Have a lovely day ..

@Elawin

Chickpea flour is amazing .. Glad to hear you shall try it and it is much healthier may I add !!

White flour is bleached !! This industrial process is a disaster ..

Let me know how it turns out ..

Have a lovely day ..
I try to use wholemeal flour if possible, otherwise at least organic white flour. It really depends on the recipe. Unfortunately I'd run out of wholemeal flour when I made these!

Back
Top Bottom