tou_b.png

Serves 2 |Preparation & cooking time 15-20 min

Ingredients
1 tablespoon sunflower or canola oil​
6 cloves of garlic​
1 medium-sized yellow/brown onion​
300 g (10.6 oz/~900 ml/3.8 cups) mangetouts/snow peas/sugar peas​
1/2 teaspoon dried coltsfoot (can be substituted with sage, savory or thyme)​
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon (Korean) gochugaru chil(l)i (can be substituted with crushed red pepper) + a pinch of chili for garnish​
1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon sumac​
3/4 -1 teaspoon salt​
10 g (3/4 tablespoon/0.35 oz) butter​
175 g (6.2 oz/1 can) drained mandarin segments in syrup​

Instructions

Prepare the mangetouts (rinse and cut off the tips if they're tough), cut the onion into thin slices and mince the garlic. Sauté the onion and mangetouts on medium-high heat on a frying pan/skillet for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes more. Add the coltsfoot, chil(l)i, sumac, salt and butter, mix and cook for a further 1-2 minutes until lightly browned. Add the canned, drained mandarin segments, mix and sprinkle with a pinch of chil(l)i. Serve hot.

tou_a.png

Coltsfoot - "Leskenlehti" in Finnish - is a common roadside plant/weed with tiny yellow flowers. It is used as a medicinal herb; it can be eaten raw but it's slightly toxic in larger amounts. The plant is mainly infused to tea but it can also be used as a mild, slightly acerbic cooking spice. The ash of dried and burned coltsfeet can be used as a substitute for salt. Gochugaru chil(l)i is milder and smokier than e.g. cayenne pepper; it has a very pleasant, round taste - and can be sprinkled on top quite generously :wink:. I used sumac for the first time in this dish; both my hubby and I fell in love with the citrusy berry powder.
tou_f.png

Last edited:
A rather pretty dish here and an unexpected use of herbs and spices. I'm a little uncertain about the mandarin. I'm not the biggest fan of mange-tout peas (a bit sweet for me) so adding more sweetness doesn't really appeal to me. I'm sure others will love this though!

1/2 teaspoon dried coltsfoot (can be substituted with sage, savory or thyme)

I've never come across this used in cooking before. Thanks for the explanation.
Gochugaru chil(l)i is milder and smokier than e.g. cayenne pepper;
I'm going to order some. I've used Gochujang paste before which may (or may not?) be made from the pepper. I don't like it at all as it has a sweetness I find cloying. I use it for other people though as most folk seem to like it. I'm hoping the chilli will appeal to me more.

Back
Top Bottom