Recipe Spinach Rice

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
9:13 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Spinach Rice: Greek Spanakorizo

Recipe source: Michael Psilaktis's book, How to Roast a Lamb: New Greek Classic Cooking. Page 167.

spinach rice done.jpg

• 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice, well-rinsed
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 shallots, finely chopped
  • 6 whole scallions, thickly sliced.
  • 5 cups baby spinach leaves
  • Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter
In a large pot, cook the rice according to the package instructions (or the way you like to cook rice).

While the rice is cooking: in a large skillet, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat.

Wilt the shallots and scallions for 2 to 3 minutes without browning. Add the spinach, turning it over with tongs to help it wilt evenly. Stir in 1 tablespoon of kosher salt, a generous grinding of pepper, and the lemon juice.

When the rice is done, add it to the spinach mixture. Stir in the butter, and season with salt and pepper.

(Spanakorizo is typically a side dish, but you can easily add shrimp, scallops, or mussels to make it into a main course. A scatter of crumbled feta or manouri cheese would add another layer of flavor.)

NOTES: This recipe is made for the Cookbook Challenge #5.
I made a half-recipe from the above. (I am one person and I eat reasonably low-carb.) I kept this as a side dish (as per the last paragraph). The rice was made per package concentrations, but in my rice cooker.

VERDICT: Very good. I did compact the spinach down when measuring - I think in the future I'd compact further (in order to have even more spinach in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom