Recipe Squid with Olives and Tomato Sauce

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
9:19 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com

This recipe is my adaptation of Squid with Green Olive Tomato Sauce. I used fresh squid, albeit already cleaned by the fishmonger.

Prep time: 5-10 minutes if the squid is already cleaned
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Rest time: Not much
Serves 2 hearty appetites

Greek Squid with Olives and Tomato Sauce

• 0.8 – 1 pound of cleaned squid, with tentacles separated from bodies, but do use them. Bodies chopped into rings of about 1/2 to 1 inch thick
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1/2 onion, coarsely chopped.
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 6-8 ounces tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine.
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • about a dozen or so pitted olives (I mixed up green and black from our olive bar)
  • salt and pepper to taste.

1. Use half the olive oil, and heat over a cooking pot to medium. Add in the onion, and stir around until translucent, about ten minutes. Add the garlic; stir another minute.
  2. Add everything else except the remaining oil and the squid. Turn up the heat, and allow the sauce to come to a boil, then reduce heat and allow the sauce to simmer for around 15 minutes. (At the end of the cooking time, taste for any seasoning modifications.)
  3. While that’s simmering, put the rest of the oil in a second pan or skillet, turn up the heat to medium high, and when the skillet is hot, toss in your squid and stir it around for a minute – the squid will lighten up and shrink. DO NOT OVERCOOK! (Remember rubber bands??)
  4. Remove from heat, and when the simmering pot with the tomato sauce is just about ready, stir in the squid for a couple of minutes. and remove from heat.
  5. Serve in a bowl, and include a spoon for those juices.

Serving suggestion: Serve alongside a nice Greek salad with feta, or perhaps goat cheese.

Leftovers?: Well, I ate them cold, rather than risking rubberized squid — still quite good!

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 39088
Squid, olive, tomato.

This recipe is my adaptation of Squid with Green Olive Tomato Sauce. I used fresh squid, albeit already cleaned by the fishmonger.

Prep time: 5-10 minutes if the squid is already cleaned
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Rest time: Not much
Serves 2 hearty appetites

Greek Squid with Olives and Tomato Sauce

• 0.8 – 1 pound of cleaned squid, with tentacles separated from bodies, but do use them. Bodies chopped into rings of about 1/2 to 1 inch thick
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1/2 onion, coarsely chopped.
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 6-8 ounces tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine.
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • about a dozen or so pitted olives (I mixed up green and black from our olive bar)
  • salt and pepper to taste.

Use half the olive oil, and heat over a cooking pot to medium. Add in the onion, and stir around until translucent, about ten minutes. Add the garlic; stir another minute.

Add everything else except the remaining oil and the squid. Turn up the heat, and allow the sauce to come to a boil, then reduce heat and allow the sauce to simmer for around 15 minutes. (At the end of the cooking time, taste for any seasoning modifications.)

While that’s simmering, put the rest of the oil in a second pan or skillet, turn up the heat to medium high, and when the skillet is hot, toss in your squid and stir it around for a minute – the squid will lighten up and shrink. DO NOT OVERCOOK! (Remember rubber bands??)

Remove from heat, and when the simmering pot with the tomato sauce is just about ready, stir in the squid for a couple of minutes. and remove from heat.

Serve in a bowl, and include a spoon for those juices.

Serving suggestion: Serve alongside a nice Greek salad with feta, or perhaps goat cheese.

Leftovers?: Well, I ate them cold, rather than risking rubberized squid — still quite good!

View attachment 39089
Ready and waiting for that sauce to finish simmering!
Bravo!!

Sarana x

Back
Top Bottom