Steak and kidney pie info (eating experience)

msjhord

Über Member
Local time
9:39 AM
Okay, as the subject line indicates, I am looking for info on what it's like to EAT the Brit dish, Steak and Kidney Pie. How it tastes, smells, varying textures, etc. As I live in Podunk America, where things like lamb/ox kidneys are more than just a little hard to come by, plus I'm just not a fan of offal, chances are I'm not gonna make it for myself. But I'm working on a creative writing project and need to know this info. Thanks!

Oh and where is Podunk. I am in oilfield country myself aka the middle of nowhere.

It's very nice BUT it has to be done properly - I remember pies where the steak resembled tasteless stringy rubber and the kidney simply a mushy blob. A badly done one is fit only as a bin filler a good one is almost a poem where the whole thing comes together to make and excellent meal on its own

Oh and where is Podunk. I am in oilfield country myself aka the middle of nowhere.
I'm in the southeast part of the country. Not really in the middle of nowhere, but not a lot of diversity as far as culinary stuff.

@sidevalve: describe the eating of a great steak and kidney pie like you would to someone who's never eaten it before. because i haven't, and i'd like to know more.

Hard to describe really - a rich hot meaty pie with it's own gravy and pastry that slowly melts into that gravy as you eat it. The steak tastes of - good beef and the kidneys - well kidney really. It's hard to describe flavours I suppose. It's definitely a winter food, in this day and age anyway as very few of us do the hard physical labour required to burn off the calories in summer at least ! It's hot solid and filling. Try and imagine a very good thick stew in a pie. Best thing to do is just to try one [ but if the steak is like an old string vest - walk away quickly]

Fair point - but again it's a subtly different beast and just as hard to describe - best just try to try one ! [or two]

Again, a little hard to accomplish here. For the purposes of my writing project, the preparer is a Brit ex-pat chef living in the US. So he'll know how to do it well. But I guess you are right. I should just imagine eating beef stew in a pie, with the addition of kidney. What flavors/consistencies/scents does kidney add to the mix, if properly prepared?

Ah the creative writing class. Must ask is the professor a Brit? My first English professor at college was a Brit. He was fun.

Nope. Doing this for myself, but I want my protagonist's experience to be authentic.

Nope. Doing this for myself, but I want my protagonist's experience to be authentic.
Like you, the steak would be easy enough to get but the kidneys would be the problem.
I can get beef liver but I haven't seen kidneys in our local stores.

So can one of our lovely Brits, tell us the consistency of the kidneys.

Ok certain stores do sell lamb kidneys. Check with your local higher end grocery store. Like Albertsons, Krogers or whichever grocery store is a United Foods.

A nice beer gravy with a good flavour. a great buttery pastry lid that you lift off or break into. It must be nicely brown and flaky. It must fit the pie pot exactly, hiding the contents. each pot is an individual serving. none of this sharing business. the gravy must be full of flavour and made using beer. I prefer a good dark beer base to my steak and kidney pie. No vegetables in it at all. Except onion and mushrooms. vegetables are a side dish they don't go in it. ox kidney only not any other. any others take too short a time to cook for this dish. it's not a pie to rush making. it needs time for the flavours to develop. the steak part must be beef. it must cut into and fall apart. it needs to be cut into bite sized chunks which are not hard and chewy.

Back
Top Bottom