Storage Containers.

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
9:35 AM
IMG_20161108_191922793.jpg

Who uses storage containers to store dry foods in?

I found these plastic jars at a Dollar Tree store, where every item there is $1.00. At a dollar a piece, I got five of them! Along with the orange strainer for another dollar. Actually, a friend of mine bought several taller ones to store cereal in for the kids. She told me that they got some shorter ones, which are perfect for what I want them for!!

Beats paying like $6 to $8 for one container!! Oh yes, and there is a place for those also, without cluttering the kitchen!. In the kitchen's pantry. I plan to use them to store flour, sugar, rice, Splenda & corn meal. :wink:

Last edited:
I paid 6.88 for my storage containers at Walmart. That was for a set of 4 They are bigger than yours but I buy 5 lbs of flours and 4 lbs of sugar at a time.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-4pc-Canister-Set/16408649
I actually bought 2 sets.
In my baking cabinet I have cornflour, cornmeal, bread flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar, baking powder, baking soda, creme of tartar, and dried milk.
I also have brown and white gravy mixes.
Also molasses, honey, assorted flavorings and colorings.

I guess I should mention I don't drive so keeping a well stocked kitchen is a must.

I paid 6.88 for my storage containers at Walmart. That was for a set of 4 They are bigger than yours but I buy 5 lbs of flours and 4 lbs of sugar at a time.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-4pc-Canister-Set/16408649
I actually bought 2 sets.
In my baking cabinet I have cornflour, cornmeal, bread flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar, baking powder, baking soda, creme of tartar, and dried milk.
I also have brown and white gravy mixes.
Also molasses, honey, assorted flavorings and colorings.

I guess I should mention I don't drive so keeping a well stocked kitchen is a must.

I should do that also! Set a shelf aside just for baking supplies. It would make it easier to find stuff, and would free up space where the spices are kept!! :wink:

I have dozens of them. It is the only way of protecting things from mice, cockroaches, ants... My pantry looks like this (and the more you look, the more of them you will see. My spices are no different. Then I have more in other shelves in cupboard and in the freezer. The kilner style jars are AUD $2.99 each for the large, AUD$2.49 each for the medium and AUD$1.99 each for the small (not sure what the AUD$ is against the USD$). The plastic ones are 6 for AUD$10 (the blue ones), the various sized ones with the multi-coloured lids, I brought over from the UK and they were something like £7.99 for 10 or so from Lakeland.

DSC_1837_800.jpg
DSC_1838_800.jpg
DSC_1836_smaller.jpg

I don't use them at all except for spices - mainly because I used to find they took up too much space (round ones, especially, waste space) and I also found I'd buy a bag of flour because it was running low in the jar and then find I couldn't get it all in the jar - so I'd end up with a packet and a jar!

I don't have a problem with pests though. My friend (who I visit a lot and where I cook a lot) used to have kilner jars in the kitchen cupboard. I eventually persuaded him he didn't need them and he was amazed how much more he could fit into the cupboards by just storing packets. I use (rather fun brightly coloured) elastic bands around open packets to secure them, or clip the tops with clothes pegs.

kilner jars for dry
freezer ikea lock bags for freezer or ice cream tubs also Chinese take away tubs are great to freeze in,
we always decant open packets and secure any labels to the containers

I have dozens of them. It is the only way of protecting things from mice, cockroaches, ants... My pantry looks like this (and the more you look, the more of them you will see. My spices are no different. Then I have more in other shelves in cupboard and in the freezer. The kilner style jars are AUD $2.99 each for the large, AUD$2.49 each for the medium and AUD$1.99 each for the small (not sure what the AUD$ is against the USD$). The plastic ones are 6 for AUD$10 (the blue ones), the various sized ones with the multi-coloured lids, I brought over from the UK and they were something like £7.99 for 10 or so from Lakeland.

View attachment 3991 View attachment 3992 View attachment 3993

Holy skunk sweat!!!

You can open up a small store with all that stuff that you have in your pantry!!! :wink:

IMG_20161110_130936205.jpg
IMG_20161110_130154752.jpg

Here's the shelf that I had set aside for the containers & baking spices.

I can still get 4 more containers in there, which I plan to do later on! :wink:

@SatNavSaysStraightOn, An AUD is .76USD.
Like you, we have to use canisters/jars to keep critters out.

I had that problem when I stayed on the other side of town.

The guy that owned the building became a slumlord! There were mice & rats in my old apt. But the most aggravating thing was those pesky little moths that got into everything, and the storage containers were sealed tight but they still found a way into the rice, flour & pasta!! :mad:

Even though I liked that part of town, those things were a pure pest!! None of them where I stay now!! :wink:

Hah!! Oh, no!

Well I won't be visiting HER!! Too many mosquitos congregate there when the sun starts to go down!! They carry switch blades on them!!

Besides, I'm too used to the city life! Hah! :wink:
Me too! :happy: But I do understand those who like a country life, growing vegetables, keeping chickens and the quiet... it has its attractions.

Back
Top Bottom