Recipe Strawberry Tiramisu

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:20 PM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Strawberry Tiramisù.jpg

I came up with this recipe because I was looking for a lighter alternative to the very fatty mascarpone filling. The result is a fresh dessert, easy to prepare and even easier to eat.

Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 20 mins + 2 h to rest

• Ricotta cheese: 400 g
  • Strawberries: 400 g
  • Savoiardi/ladyfingers: 300 g
  • Egg yolks: 2
  • Cane sugar: 4 tbsp
  • Strawberry juice (or pear juice): to taste
Method

Pour the egg yolks in a bowl together with the cane sugar and beat them up. Gradually add the ricotta and keep stirring, until the mix achieves a smooth and creamy texture.

Set aside some strawberries for garnishing. Chop up the rest of the strawberries and pour them in a blender along with a drop of water; blend them until you reach a slightly thicker, frothy juice. Pour it in a plate.

Dip the savoiardi into the strawberry juice, one by one. Make sure that the savoiardi don’t get too soaked up, or they will disintegrate when you try to prepare the tiramisù layers. Immerse them in the juice only for a few seconds; should there be parts of the biscuit that are still too dry, use a spoon to drip the juice on top of the biscuit and target them precisely.

Cover the bottom of a bowl or a squared baking dish with a first layer of soaked biscuits. Spread a generous amount of ricotta cream on top of them, add some sliced strawberries, and then create another layer of biscuits. Your tiramisù should have at least two even layers.

Decorate the last layer of cream with some fresh strawberries, and leave the tiramisù to rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Don’t forget to take it out of the fridge a good 10 minutes before serving it.

View attachment 28869

I came up with this recipe because I was looking for a lighter alternative to the very fatty mascarpone filling. The result is a fresh dessert, easy to prepare and even easier to eat.

Method

Pour the egg yolks in a bowl together with the cane sugar and beat them up. Gradually add the ricotta and keep stirring, until the mix achieves a smooth and creamy texture.

Set aside some strawberries for garnishing. Chop up the rest of the strawberries and pour them in a blender along with a drop of water; blend them until you reach a slightly thicker, frothy juice. Pour it in a plate.

Dip the savoiardi into the strawberry juice, one by one. Make sure that the savoiardi don’t get too soaked up, or they will disintegrate when you try to prepare the tiramisù layers. Immerse them in the juice only for a few seconds; should there be parts of the biscuit that are still too dry, use a spoon to drip the juice on top of the biscuit and target them precisely.

Cover the bottom of a bowl or a squared baking dish with a first layer of soaked biscuits. Spread a generous amount of ricotta cream on top of them, add some sliced strawberries, and then create another layer of biscuits. Your tiramisù should have at least two even layers.

Decorate the last layer of cream with some fresh strawberries, and leave the tiramisù to rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Don’t forget to take it out of the fridge a good 10 minutes before serving it.

Well done.

I first wondered where the coffee went, but now I see that the bitterness of the coffee would have wrecked the strawberry flavor. Very nice!

Thank you very much! In fact the coffee in this version of Tiramisu has nothing to do at all, and the strawberries are the protagonists.

So I tried making a strawberry tiramisu....and whilst there are some tweaks needed to perfect it for our tastes, I have to say that this is a delicious summer pudding that I'll be making again and again :okay:

l4iOYOVl.jpg

I don't think I soaked the ladyfingers quite enough because they could do with being just a little bit softer - I was trying not to make them too soft though. And I'd prefer a different balance between cream and biscuits so next time I'll use a smaller dish and fewer biscuits with the same amount of cream mixture.

I used mascarpone instead of ricotta because I wanted to replicate the richness of the original Tiramisu, and I adapted the recipe a bit here and there. I beat eggwhites with sugar (as if making a meringue) and added them and a spot of vanilla to the mascarpone and egg yolk mixture - this gave the cream a lovely flavour and really light texture. I also added a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar to the pureed strawberries (just because I think strawberries and balsamic work well together), and finally I added a layer of sliced strawberries on top of the first layer of cream before the second layer of biscuits.

Can't wait to try this again! Thanks to @MypinchofItaly for suggesting it :bravo:

So I tried making a strawberry tiramisu....and whilst there are some tweaks needed to perfect it for our tastes, I have to say that this is a delicious summer pudding that I'll be making again and again :okay:

View attachment 29205

I don't think I soaked the ladyfingers quite enough because they could do with being just a little bit softer - I was trying not to make them too soft though. And I'd prefer a different balance between cream and biscuits so next time I'll use a smaller dish and fewer biscuits with the same amount of cream mixture.

I used mascarpone instead of ricotta because I wanted to replicate the richness of the original Tiramisu, and I adapted the recipe a bit here and there. I beat eggwhites with sugar (as if making a meringue) and added them and a spot of vanilla to the mascarpone and egg yolk mixture - this gave the cream a lovely flavour and really light texture. I also added a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar to the pureed strawberries (just because I think strawberries and balsamic work well together), and finally I added a layer of sliced strawberries on top of the first layer of cream before the second layer of biscuits.

Can't wait to try this again! Thanks to @MypinchofItaly for suggesting it :bravo:

Then you did it! wow :thumbsup:

I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe and created your own interesting version ( even though I have avoided the mascarpone on purpose, but it is excellent indeed)

And the touch of balsamic vinegar ... I hadn't thought of it!

Oh I know, being able to immerse perfectly the savoiardi (or even the sponge cake) seems easy but it is not .. but it is only a matter of practice and then everything will seem that you have soaked ladyfingers for life!
Brava.

I'll try your version soon! :)

So another thread on here just reminded me of a conversation we had last night whilst finishing off the strawberry tiramisu.....if I was to put some alcohol in it (in the strawberry puree that's used for dipping the biscuits) what would a good choice be? It needs to be something not too strong because you don't want to overpower the strawberry flavour.

I do have some Marsala (which obviously is used in a traditional tiramisu) but I think that would probably be too strong a flavour, so I'm thinking maybe Prosecco would be a good choice?

So another thread on here just reminded me of a conversation we had last night whilst finishing off the strawberry tiramisu.....if I was to put some alcohol in it (in the strawberry puree that's used for dipping the biscuits) what would a good choice be? It needs to be something not too strong because you don't want to overpower the strawberry flavour.

I do have some Marsala (which obviously is used in a traditional tiramisu) but I think that would probably be too strong a flavour, so I'm thinking maybe Prosecco would be a good choice?

Prosecco, it could work, that's a good idea
But I'm also wondering about Limoncello...what do you think about it?

View attachment 28869

Method

Is Ricotta Cheese the same as Mozzarelle Cheese? If no please share any alternative of this.

Is Ricotta Cheese the same as Mozzarelle Cheese? If no please share any alternative of this.

No, Ricotta and Mozzarella are two completely different cheeses.
Ricotta is an Italian cheese, there is the salty version and the sweet one. I've used the sweet version of course, which is soft.
It can be replaced, like mascarpone, with any other soft spreadable cheese, or with Greek yogurt or even with Chantilly, but at this point it is worth using mascarpone.

View attachment 28869

Method

Oops...I appear to have salivated on my desk, that sounds yummy :hungry:

Back
Top Bottom