The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
8:58 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
88E385AC-8839-4739-B8B9-FC075B827CD8.jpeg

Whenever I travel by plane, I’m offered a choice of a stroopwafel and some other sweet thing. I have no idea what the other things are because I always get the stroopwafel.

For those who don’t know, a stroopwafel is a cookie sandwich with a caramel sticking the halves together. I tried to figure out how to make it them using a regular waffle iron, or by just making small pancakes on a griddle, but I knew it wouldn’t be the same.

So, I bought a mini pizzelle maker: $12.99 on Amazon. It took a while to make the halves one at a time, but the final product was great. The consistency is not a puffy like a waffle, but really closer to a cookie.

NOTE: cake flour can be made by taking 2 tablespoons out of every cup of flour and adding in 2 tablespoons of cornstarch.

Ingredients

Cookie

1 3/4 cups cake flour
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
8 tablespoons butter, melted
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Filling

1 cup brown sugar, packed
6 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup maple syrup

Final Assembly

Pizzelle maker
Cooking spray

Directions

1. Make the cookie dough: Whisk eggs together with brown sugar, vanilla extract, and melted butter. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. Blend dry mixture into wet ingredients until just combined.

C4568447-CFE9-4F00-AEC7-C6EF0C17F563.jpeg

2. Make the filling: Melt butter in a pot on low heat. Blend in remaining ingredients. Heat for several minutes, stirring occasionally, until fully combined. Remove from heat.

367919DF-0CA4-420C-979E-01B1FA3748BA.jpeg

3. Heat up pizzelle maker. Spray both sides with cooking spray. Drop 1 heaping tablespoon of batter onto the middle of the pizzelle maker. Close lid, pushing down slightly. Cook until golden brown. Move to cooking rack. Reapply cooking spray and repeat.

FAB99F76-D580-4102-B6CA-CF3DDF05D091.jpeg

4. When pizzelles are cooled somewhat, spoon 1 tablespoon of filling on one pizzelle. Place another pizzelle on top and press together.
739BC27C-6CB7-4434-88ED-32CAA73A6A0B.jpeg

5. Serve with coffee. To warm up the filling, place a stroopwafel on the coffee cup.
892258D1-C963-4F6F-BB35-DC307AF18D1D.jpeg

Last edited:
The Late Night Gourmet how many cookies does this make?
Side note: we heat our cookies in the micro for just a few seconds ... My husband had never had these cookies before and is now HOOKED!

I got 12 out of the batter; that’s 24 pizzelle. There was significantly more filling, which serves as a dip if warmed up somewhat.

Here’s the Mini Pizzelle Maker I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08W5DQRWY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It’s small, so storage won’t be a problem. :laugh:

I got 12 out of the batter; that’s 24 pizzelle. There was significantly more filling, which serves as a dip if warmed up somewhat.

Here’s the Mini Pizzelle Maker I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08W5DQRWY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It’s small, so storage won’t be a problem. :laugh:
Yeah, that's the one I was looking at direct from Dash, ten bucks, yup and small too.
I still have some room in my garage dry pantry for it... I should post up in the thread "What's the next kitchen item you plan to buy" ...
AND I could make DH cannoli too with it!

View attachment 98818

Whenever I travel by plane, I’m offered a choice of a stroopwafel and some other sweet thing. I have no idea what the other things are because I always get the stroopwafel.

For those who don’t know, a stroopwafel is a cookie sandwich with a caramel sticking the halves together. I tried to figure out how to make it them using a regular waffle iron, or by just making small pancakes on a griddle, but I knew it wouldn’t be the same.

So, I bought a mini pizzelle maker: $12.99 on Amazon. It took a while to make the halves one at a time, but the final product was great. The consistency is not a puffy like a waffle, but really closer to a cookie.

NOTE: cake flour can be made by taking 2 tablespoons out of every cup of flour and adding in 2 tablespoons of cornstarch.

Ingredients

Cookie

1 3/4 cups cake flour
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
8 tablespoons butter, melted
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Filling

1 cup brown sugar, packed
6 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup maple syrup

Final Assembly

Pizzelle maker

Directions

1. Make the cookie dough: Whisk eggs together with brown sugar, vanilla extract, and melted butter. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. Blend dry mixture into wet ingredients until just combined.

View attachment 98814

2. Make the filling: Melt butter in a pot on low heat. Blend in remaining ingredients. Heat for several minutes, stirring occasionally, until fully combined. Remove from heat.

View attachment 98815

3. Heat up pizzelle maker. Spray both sides with cooking spray. Drop 1 heaping tablespoon of batter onto the middle of the pizzelle maker. Close lid, pushing down slightly. Cook until golden brown. Move to cooking rack.
View attachment 98816

4. When pizzelles are cooled somewhat, spoon 1 tablespoon of filling on one pizzelle. Place another pizzelle on top and press together.
View attachment 98817

5. Serve with coffee. To warm up the filling, place a stroopwafel on the coffee cup.
View attachment 98819
Ohmegawd! I want this!

It looks amazing well done! The syrup is beautiful 😍

If you're interested in the technical however, this is indeed a stroop koekje/syrup cookie according to the Dutch. A stroopwafel is much thinner, it's made of a dough the kind comparable to what is used to make an ice cream cone
Stroopkoek:
7583891680_3W4A1191-2018-06-26-21_06_00-1200x675.jpg

Stroopwafel:
Stroopwafels_01.jpg

It looks amazing well done! The syrup is beautiful 😍

If you're interested in the technical however, this is indeed a stroop koekje/syrup cookie according to the Dutch. A stroopwafel is much thinner, it's made of a dough the kind comparable to what is used to make an ice cream cone

In fact, I was going for that texture and thickness. I had two of these flan pans:

6995D8CD-4483-4E02-A977-2CFE89B37D57.jpeg

Note the texture. I conceived pressing the dough between these, then cutting out discs with my ring mold. The problem: how do I cook the dough? I considered:
  • cooking them directly over the burner while holding them with pliers
  • cooking in the oven
  • pressing these plates between plates on my waffle iron
By the time I got to the last idea, I realized it would be a lot easier to just buy a pizzelle maker. Bonus: I get to make pizzelle!

Yeah, that's the one I was looking at direct from Dash, ten bucks, yup and small too.
I still have some room in my garage dry pantry for it... I should post up in the thread "What's the next kitchen item you plan to buy" ...
AND I could make DH cannoli too with it!

Make it a thread about kitchen tool regrets, and I’ll have a few to contribute. I understand your hub’s concerns: I have a few things that seemed like cool ideas, but didn’t quite pan out (I’m looking at you, spiralizer).

In fact, I was going for that texture and thickness. I had two of these flan pans:

View attachment 98847

Note the texture. I conceived pressing the dough between these, then cutting out discs with my ring mold. The problem: how do I cook the dough? I considered:
  • cooking them directly over the burner while holding them with pliers
  • cooking in the oven
  • pressing these plates between plates on my waffle iron
By the time I got to the last idea, I realized it would be a lot easier to just buy a pizzelle maker. Bonus: I get to make pizzelle!
Completely understand! I don't think the specific waffle irons used for stroopwafels can be found easily where you live.
I think you did absolutely fabulously! I have never made stroopwafels myself, so who am I. I was just curious if you know the difference between stroopwafels and stroopkoek, but clearly you do!
Hats off to your knowledge and valiant attempt The Late Night Gourmet :highfive: they are beautiful!

Never made them.
Always just bought them freshly made at the weekly market :)

Got a link here for a video of making stroopwafels. Unfortunately not in English: Stroopwafels en stroopkoeken van Cees & Stella

Edit: The video is not as useful as I thought/hoped, but their recipe is written out. Google translate should be able to help.
My internet was real slow, so didn't watch the video before posting. My apologies

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom