Recipe Stuffed Flounder

CookieMonster

Local time
3:32 AM
[Mod.Edit This post moved to become a recipe thread as per guidelines (MG)]

Came across a recipe for shrimp stuffed flounder. Long, involved, about 15 ingredients.
Bottom line: flounder is a mild fish, shrimp is a mild crustacean, in the end it was not a recipe I would recommend or repeat.

But the concept is there. Our local fishmonger sometimes has really good size whole flounder. Which he kindly cleaned, skinned and filleted. To do this roll-up version, you need a big flounder. Those cute little cutlets they have in the supermarket are not up to the task.
For sense of scale, the plate diameter is 11"/28cm.

IMG-0867.jpg

For a follow-up I invented my own stuffing - ultra simple:
crispy bacon, sauted onion (long saute, very soft), chopped fresh baby spinach.
A splash of balsamic vinegar when the spinach goes in to wilt. Allow to cool.

IMG-0937.jpg

A trick to stuffing like this is to chop every to small pieces - big lumps do not assist in getting a neat roll-up. Toothpicks helpful during bake.
IMG-0938.jpg

Ready for the oven - loosely cover with foil first 25 minutes.
Bake time 30 minutes starting at 425'F/220'C reduced to 375'F/190'C at 15 minutes.

IMG-0939.jpg

Done deal - pan fired okra (from fozen) + red potato version of hasselbacks
IMG-0940.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[Mod.Edit This post moved to become a recipe thread as per guidelines (MG)]

Came across a recipe for shrimp stuffed flounder. Long, involved, about 15 ingredients.
Bottom line: flounder is a mild fish, shrimp is a mild crustacean, in the end it was not a recipe I would recommend or repeat.

But the concept is there. Our local fishmonger sometimes has really good size whole flounder. Which he kindly cleaned, skinned and filleted. To do this roll-up version, you need a big flounder. Those cute little cutlets they have in the supermarket are not up to the task.
For sense of scale, the plate diameter is 11"/28cm.

View attachment 50380

For a follow-up I invented my own stuffing - ultra simple:
crispy bacon, sauted onion (long saute, very soft), chopped fresh baby spinach.
A splash of balsamic vinegar when the spinach goes in to wilt. Allow to cool.

View attachment 50381

A trick to stuffing like this is to chop every to small pieces - big lumps do not assist in getting a neat roll-up. Toothpicks helpful during bake.
View attachment 50382

Ready for the oven - loosely cover with foil first 25 minutes.
Bake time 30 minutes starting at 425'F/220'C reduced to 375'F/190'C at 15 minutes.

View attachment 50383

Done deal - pan fired okra (from fozen) + red potato version of hasselbacks
View attachment 50384
Looks delish! Thanks for the recipe👍😃

Back
Top Bottom