Recipe Stuffed Leeks with Spinach and Ricotta

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:32 AM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk

An alternative to stuffed baked pasta with these leeks stuffed with a classic ricotta and spinach filling. I've blanched the leeks in boiling water before proceeding and instead of bechamelle, I've opted for a simpler and lighter Parmigiano cream just perfect for au gratin at the end.

Serves 4, Preparation 20 min, Cooking about 25-30 min

• 4 medium/large sized leeks
  • 250 g Ricotta cheese
  • 150 g grated Parmigiano cheese + a bit more if needed
  • Spinach fresh or frozen, 150 g
  • 200 ml milk
  • 2 sprigs of thyme
  • Butter – 1 tbsp
  • EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, to taste
  • salt, a pinch

Method

Wash and clean the leeks, remove the two ends and cut each leek into two or even three pieces. Blanch them in hot water for about
4 to 5 minutes or until they softened a bit but still firm, take off them and place under cold water, dry with kitchen paper.
Remove the central part, then peel them, keeping about 2-3 veils of the outer part for each leek. Finely chop the inside of the leek you have just removed.

Tip: Use the same water in which you blanched the leeks to blanch the spinach – it only takes a few minutes.
Squeeze and dry the spinach, then chop it.

Stir-fry the chopped leek in a pan with a tbsp of butter and a pinch of salt for about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the ricotta and chopped spinach, stir.
Fill the leeks with the mixture.

Heat the milk – without bringing it to the boil – gradually add the grated Parmigiano, stirring continuosly until you get a smooth cream.

Preheat the oven to 180 C.

Oil an oven dish and place the stuffed leeks next to each other, then cover them with the milk and cheese mixture evenly. Decorate with the sprigs of thyme and bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 mins, activate the grill function for further 2 mins. Ready.

What a lovely idea. When I read the recipe title I expected to see the leeks rolled round a filling the other way round (like involtini, if you see what I mean). In fact, I think it would work both ways but maybe the way you did it makes them easier to eat.

I like the lightness of this dish and the fact that the leeks are most definitely centre stage.

What a lovely idea. When I read the recipe title I expected to see the leeks rolled round a filling the other way round (like involtini, if you see what I mean). In fact, I think it would work both ways but maybe the way you did it makes them easier to eat.

I like the lightness of this dish and the fact that the leeks are most definitely centre stage.

Ah yes I see what you mean, I wasn’t very sure about the title too going to change it!
I’ve chosen a light filling to balance the flavours, however I think it would also work with a light minced cured ham or speck ham.. I’ll experimenting again

Back
Top Bottom