Sub rolls (looking for recipes)

I am an avid reader and still had to go through it a few times. My brain fog is growing exponentially! Frankly, I got lost when you posted "stick a pan of boiling water in there". LOL
Bakery baguettes are made in special steam-injected ovens. It's part of what gives them their characteristic crackly, crisp crust.

That can somewhat be duplicated by boiling some water, pouring that in a baking dish, and setting it on the bottom rack of the oven. It adds steam to the oven.

Then, every so often during the bake time, use a spray bottle to mist the baguettes and that adds more steam.

Bakery baguettes are made in special steam-injected ovens. It's part of what gives them their characteristic crackly, crisp crust.

That can somewhat be duplicated by boiling some water, pouring that in a baking dish, and setting it on the bottom rack of the oven. It adds steam to the oven.

Then, every so often during the bake time, use a spray bottle to mist the baguettes and that adds more steam.

Makes sense. Thanks for explaining it.

Tasters mate, you know the tricks. Bravo.

My Hogie fan friends and I all concur the roll makes all the difference. Most important.

Philipes in LA has their buns delivered in an unmarked truck. No one knows the bakery.
Lost art IMHO.

Anyone who visits Northern Calif check out Toscansa or Acme breads. San Francisco thru the wine country.
Spoiled me and my family.

You can hammer a nail with their buns.
The flavor outta this world while as you chew you scrape the compost and enamel off your teeth.

At 14 I was sent into a small market in St. Helena to get two loaves of Toscansa. One for dinner one for mom to freeze.

I grabbed the last two they had, turned and a disappointed lady was standing behind me there to grab a loaf too.

I asked her “are you” and before I got another word out she replied “yes.”
I handed her one of the loaves I picked up and she thanked me.
It was author Jessemine West.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom