Sub rolls (looking for recipes)

I am thinking about having meatball subs for dinner/supper this week. Does anyone have a great sub roll recipe? I prefer tried-n-true.

Thanks in advance!
You're going to laugh, but I usually use that hamburger bun recipe I posted earlier. I just reshape them into sub rolls. I use that recipe for hot dog buns and brat buns as well. :)

You're going to laugh, but I usually use that hamburger bun recipe I posted earlier. I just reshape them into sub rolls. I use that recipe for hot dog buns and brat buns as well. :)

I nearly posted that same reply, but thought I'd leave it to you, lol.

Russ

You both made me LOL. As I was typing the question, I was thinking "the only difference in a hamburger bun and hot dog bun is the shape". Too funny! I'll post results when I'm done. Thanks!

You two made me think of this meme I saw a couple weeks ago.

food (1).jpg

Ah, but does it give that nice crusty... um, crust of a sub roll?

When I think of a sub roll, or hoagie roll -- or even PoBoy roll in NOLA, I think of a fluffy inside, and a crunchy crust like Amoroso's.

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 5.07.58 PM.jpg

Tasty, if you are up to the challenge, find a copy-cat recipe and test it out for us. :thumbsup:

Ah, but does it give that nice crusty... um, crust of a sub roll?

When I think of a sub roll, or hoagie roll -- or even PoBoy roll in NOLA, I think of a fluffy inside, and a crunchy crust like Amoroso's.

View attachment 52179

Tasty, if you are up to the challenge, find a copy-cat recipe and test it out for us. :thumbsup:
It would probably improve the crust to give it the baguette treatment - stick a pan of boiling water in there and mist the buns a few times.

I would like a harder crust because the marinara sauce tends to drown the bread quickly. It's one reason I wanted to try them at home instead of buying them.

That article I linked said to coat your rolls before baking with egg white or with egg white and milk to get a "firmer" crust.

CD

That's a lot of info to get through. I understand it, it's similar to making baguettes, but I would probably lose my patience with that recipe at some point.

I am an avid reader and still had to go through it a few times. My brain fog is growing exponentially! Frankly, I got lost when you posted "stick a pan of boiling water in there". LOL

Back
Top Bottom