Suggestions to control High Cholesterol

Pat

Veteran
Local time
3:51 AM
I am looking for suggestions to control High Cholestral. Want can I eat and not eat? I don't eat fried foods or fatty foods but I need to make a change in my diet. I eat mostly fruit and vegetables.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Soya products, nuts, fruit and veg, oats and barley. The latter two have beta glucan in them which forms a gel and stops all the cholesterol being absorbed.

Knowing what the cause is is just as important.
The NHS website (UK National Health Service) has some useful information regarding high cholesterol and it's causes.

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cholesterol/Pages/Causes.aspx

For me I have a high triglyceride level which given the causes seems to be down to simply being overweight (a ruptured disc leaving me partially paralysed this year being the cause). It's one in working on, but losing weight when I can't be very active and take steroids is never going to be easy. Worse still dieting and depriving my body of what it needs to heal won't help my long term recovery. Catch 22...

Cottage Pie

Shepherds Pie.jpg

Ingredients
400g lean minced beef
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed or chopped
1 tablespoon Worcester sauce (optional)
1 large carrot, cut into small pieces
1-2 tablespoons tomato puree
50g frozen peas
1 beef stock cube
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
500g potatoes
2-3 tablespoons skimmed milk
1 tablespoon vegetable spread (such as olive or sunflower)
pepper to season

Method
  • Preheat oven to 200C or gas mark 6.
For the filling
  • Warm the oil in a large sauce or frying pan. Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes without colouring.
  • Add the minced beef, and continue to cook until browned
  • Add the stock cube, canned tomatoes, tomato puree, Worchester sauce and carrot pieces
  • Bring to the boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes. The sauce should thicken nicely.
  • Add frozen peas and continue to simmer for 5 minutes, season with pepper
For the topping
  • Peel the potatoes and cut into egg sized pieces. Boil for about 20 minutes or until tender
  • Drain the potatoes, add the vegetable spread and milk and mash until smooth and creamy
Making the pie
  • Put the meat filling into a casserole or baking dish, and top with the mashed potato
  • Bake for 45 minutes (30 minutes from hot), until golden brown on top
  • Serve on its own or with seasonal vegetables
Recipe tip:
Try adding canned beans to the meat mixture instead of peas, adding chopped mushrooms or for a smoother sauce puree the chopped tomatoes before adding to the pan.

Per 100g

Low fat, saturates, sugar, medium salt

Per serving
Energy: 325 Kcals/ 1364 Kjoules Fat: 12.3g Saturates: 3.3g Sugars: 13.8g Salt: 2.2g

http://heartuk.org.uk/cholesterol-and-diet/tasty-recipes/main-course-meat/cottage-pie

Healthy Spaghetti Bolognese

Spag_Bol.jpg

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
200g extra lean mince
1 medium onion
80g shiitake mushrooms
1 medium carrot (grated)
1 x 400g canned chopped tomatoes
250ml vegetable stock
2 tablespoons sundried tomato paste
300g wholewheat spaghetti
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
1 bay leaf

Method
  • Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions and mince until the mince has browned.
  • Add the mushrooms, carrot, tomatoes, stock, bay leaf and tomato puree. Bring to the boil and then let simmers for 15-20mins or until the sauce has thickened.
  • Place the spaghetti in a saucepan of boiling water with a pinch of salt and cook until the spaghetti is soft.
  • Divide the spaghetti into four portions and serve with the Bolognese sauce on top. Sprinkle with the fresh parsley and serve.

Per 100g
Low fat, low saturates, low sugar, medium salt

Per serving
Energy: 475 Kcals/1980 Kjoules Fat: 17.6g Saturates: 2.9g Sugars: 12.2g Salt: 1.4g

http://heartuk.org.uk/cholesterol-a...main-course-meat/healthy-spaghetti-bolognaise

Thanks you for the above suggestions. I think most of my problem is coming from being over weight, I have reduced my weight some but need to come down some more. I have been eating Oats but will eat more and more vegetables.

I got a bit of a shock a couple of years ago when I discovered that my cholesterol level was a bit high. I thought that my (vegetarian) diet was pretty healthy, but my numbers were quite high. The only obvious thing I indulged in was cheese, so I decided to cut it out altogether for a while. Result: numbers halved in about six months.

I got a bit of a shock a couple of years ago when I discovered that my cholesterol level was a bit high. I thought that my (vegetarian) diet was pretty healthy, but My numbers were quite high. The only obvious thing I indulged in was cheese, so I decided to cut it out altogether for a while. Result: numbers halved in about six months.
Mine are high but only in one area, triglycerides. Sadly it makes the overall figure high, but usually it gets ignored when they dig deeper. Curiously I suspect that it is a omega level that is to blame, so I must try harder on getting omega 3 fatty acids into my diet from plant sources. I used to be really good at eating seeds (pumpkin seeds being very good) but lately I have stopped again. All my other 'figures' when my fasting bloods are done are fine. However the other option is dieting, but that sadly is not something that helps the body repair itself (which it is doing) but is something that I need to do.

My problem could be coming from the cheese also, I do eat alot of cheese, it is one of my sources of protein as I do not consume much meat if any at most meals. I will be eating less cheese to get the numbers down.

Things that are high in cholesterol:
  • seafood
  • cheese
  • butter
  • hard margarines
  • fatty meats such as sausages
Whenever I have to alter my diet to lower my cholesterol I start each day with a warm glass of water with a squeeze of lemon. This is a great way to assist with lowering your cholesterol levels. Another tip is adding cinnamon to foods or beverages (i.e. coffee). I also give up most dairy products. I say most because I will switch to skim milk or soy milk. Eating more baked or grilled foods will aide in lowering your cholesterol levels. Although you may eat lots of vegetables, it is how it is prepared that is important. Avoid adding dressings or unnecessary oils. Try adding lemon juice and garlic for flavor.

Good luck

I am a pizza fan and that is something that obviously contains a lot of cheese. I have started eating the plant sterol maragines and I try to eat more fish. The more fish you can eat and the less of the trans fats the better off you will be. My cholesterol is an issue too.

It's looking cheese is going to be my demise. I could eat this thing everyday. As it relates to seafood that is quite broad. Aren't there some types of seafood that actually help to lower your cholesterol? I guess I'll have to research this.

Back
Top Bottom