Super Bowl LVIII 2024

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
9:26 PM
It’s Super Bowl Sunday here tomorrow - huge “party food” day.

For those who follow American/NFL football, what are your plans? Velveeta-and-sausage dip? Big overstuffed sandwiches? Chicken wings? Beer? All of the above and more?

Here, I’m tentatively planning a pre-game afternoon tea - leaving it almost to the last minute, just trying to work out what Super Bowl foods I can “tea-erize.”

Anyone here doing anything for the Super Bowl?

I watched the Super Bowl a couple of years back, when Cincinnati got to the final.
Didn't understand a thing.:hyper:
Probably the same as you guys watching a game of cricket. :laugh: :laugh:

85017109_2515017481958133_998304107879989248_n.jpg

I think I could watch it on CNN if I wanted to, but I think I will pass. My husband hates sports and I think these things are more fun if you've got a group of people to watch but nobody I know likes watching sports.

Ok, the Super Bowl afternoon tea:

Bottom layer - egg mayonnaise, because it ain’t AT without egg mayonnaise, no matter what the occasion is.

Big overstuffed salami/lunchmeat sandwiches are very popular for Super Bowl eats, so one sandwich is salami with a cream cheese-mozzarella-sundried tomato spread.

Hot wings are probably the most popular Super Bowl dish, so the third sandwich is buffalo chicken lunchmeat, with cream cheese-ranch dressing spread, and shaved celery - hot wings in sandwich form.

Next level up - chocolate-chocolate chip scones, and that’s where I messed up. The entire reason I chose those was because they’re dark brown…like an NFL football. I had grand plans to cut them out in football shapes, then drizzle on a quick white icing for laces.

Made the dough, set it aside for a bit, came back to make them…completely forgot about my football idea and just whacked them out the way I usually do, so no football scones.

Top layer, just some cookies and 2-ingredient peanut butter fudge.

That last one deserves an explanation. Growing up, school cafeterias used to serve this completely unique peanut butter fudge. Instead of being slightly dry and flaky, like most fudge, this was oily and very creamy. It actually looked wet.

It was the most delicious fudge I’d ever eaten, and over the last 40 years, I’ve tried and tried to find out how to make it. All the fudge recipes I made produced the usual crumbly confection, not this glistening glob of sweetness.

Yesterday, I had a hankering for fudge, and decided to find the easiest recipe I could, just to have some kind of candy for the afternoon tea I was planning.

Poked around on the internet and found “2-Ingredient Peanut Butter Fudge” - and the two ingredients are…a jar of creamy peanut butter, nuked in the microwave to make it pourable, and a tub of vanilla cake frosting, also nuked in the microwave to make it pourable. I think you can figure out the rest.

Poured it, stirred it, panned it up, and into the fridge. Two hours later…holy mother of Batman…SCHOOL CAFETERIA PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE!!! I almost peed my new trousers in delight. I truly got teary-eyed - 40+ years, and all I needed was peanut butter (and the cheap kind at that, not the natural stuff), cake frosting, a microwave, and two hours.

Ok, the Super Bowl afternoon tea:

Bottom layer - egg mayonnaise, because it ain’t AT without egg mayonnaise, no matter what the occasion is.

Big overstuffed salami/lunchmeat sandwiches are very popular for Super Bowl eats, so one sandwich is salami with a cream cheese-mozzarella-sundried tomato spread.

Hot wings are probably the most popular Super Bowl dish, so the third sandwich is buffalo chicken lunchmeat, with cream cheese-ranch dressing spread, and shaved celery - hot wings in sandwich form.

Next level up - chocolate-chocolate chip scones, and that’s where I messed up. The entire reason I chose those was because they’re dark brown…like an NFL football. I had grand plans to cut them out in football shapes, then drizzle on a quick white icing for laces.

Made the dough, set it aside for a bit, came back to make them…completely forgot about my football idea and just whacked them out the way I usually do, so no football scones.

Top layer, just some cookies and 2-ingredient peanut butter fudge.

That last one deserves an explanation. Growing up, school cafeterias used to serve this completely unique peanut butter fudge. Instead of being slightly dry and flaky, like most fudge, this was oily and very creamy. It actually looked wet.

It was the most delicious fudge I’d ever eaten, and over the last 40 years, I’ve tried and tried to find out how to make it. All the fudge recipes I made produced the usual crumbly confection, not this glistening glob of sweetness.

Yesterday, I had a hankering for fudge, and decided to find the easiest recipe I could, just to have some kind of candy for the afternoon tea I was planning.

Poked around on the internet and found “2-Ingredient Peanut Butter Fudge” - and the two ingredients are…a jar of creamy peanut butter, nuked in the microwave to make it pourable, and a tub of vanilla cake frosting, also nuked in the microwave to make it pourable. I think you can figure out the rest.

Poured it, stirred it, panned it up, and into the fridge. Two hours later…holy mother of Batman…SCHOOL CAFETERIA PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE!!! I almost peed my new trousers in delight. I truly got teary-eyed - 40+ years, and all I needed was peanut butter (and the cheap kind at that, not the natural stuff), cake frosting, a microwave, and two hours.
I was going to say the graininess and smoothness of the fudge has to do with the temperature and the stirring but clearly that’s nothing to do how to produce your special fudge 😂

Vanilla cake frosting?. What's it called down under??.

Russ
I have no idea - cake frosting/icing for cakes, but it’s premade stuff in a tub:

IMG_7532.jpeg

H-E-B

IMG_7533.jpeg

Pillsbury

It’s really nasty on its own - very fake-sweet tasting, but apparently, ya gotta have it for 2-ingredient school cafeteria fudge!

Back
Top Bottom