Recipe Sushi rice and uses for it

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:45 AM
20230317_192344.jpg

20230317_191750.jpg

This is a recipe we use to season sushi rice. We've made rice for sushi this way for years after watching an episode of East Meets West hosted by Chef Ming Tsai. It just makes the sushi better.

First picture is sushi kushi. The second is spicy tuna roll on far left. Top right is tempura shrimp roll. Bottom right is a vegetable roll.

2 cups uncooked sushi rice, washed until water runs clear, then drained in a mesh colander for 30 minutes at least.
Amount of water per package directions.
a good pinch of salt.

Cook via whatever method you prefer, a rice cooker or in a saucepan on the stovetop for about 20 minutes.

Transfer rice to a large wood, glass or ceramic bowl.

Then, in a small saucepan, mix the seasoning liquid together:

1/2 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
1/8 cup mirin
1/4 cup sugar
Good pinch of salt if you didn't use salt when cooking rice

Heat the above over high heat until sugar dissolves and you see tiny bubbles forming around the edges. Pour about 1/8 cup into hot rice and toss (we use a wooden rice paddle) until liquid is absorbed, continue adding 1/8 cup at a time and tossing until rice is glistening/pearly looking and has a sweet/tart taste. You probably won't need all the liquid. Save it to use for dampening your hands to spread out the rice. Cover with a damp cloth and let cool.

I usually get 6 or 7 rolls out of 2 cups of rice with some leftover, probably enough for another 1 or 2 rolls.

Toast the nori sheets 1 at a time as you are using them by lightly running the rough side over a burner. It helps soften them so you can roll without cracking.

Lightly dampen you hands as you are spreading the rice with either extra liquid from above or water. I spread the rice over about 3/4 of the nori, then cut off the extra after I roll. Dampen the cut edge and roll over it to seal.

When you are ready to slice the rolls, lightly moisten a thin knife blade with a wet paper towel, cut the roll in half, halves in half, and then quarters in halves or thirds depending on the size you want your rolls. I usually cut a roll into 8 pieces. Wipe your knife off with the wet paper towel as needed to keep your cuts clean and sharp.

Tonight I will be making the following:

Spicy tuna roll
Thin slices of raw tuna
Thin slices of cucumber, clean out seeds
Scallions, thinly sliced
Kimchi base or sriracha

20230317_183745.jpg

I forgot to take pictures like this of the other rolls.

Vegetable roll
Thin slices of cucumber, clean out seeds
Scallions, thinly sliced
Grated carrots
Pencil asparagus, lightly cooked
Baby spinach, about 1 cup lightly packed, lightly cooked to wilt with a little salt and a drop or 2 of sesame oil
Avocado, thinly sliced
Wasabi paste
Kewpie mayo if desired

Shrimp roll
2 large shrimp, placed on a skewer and fried tempura style, skewers removed, cut in half lengthwise
Avocado, thinly sliced
Thinly sliced strips of cucumber, clean out seeds
Thinly sliced scallions
Flying fish roe, optional
Wasabi paste
Kewpie mayo if desired

Sushi kushi

2 ounces diced raw tuna
1 tsp sesame oil
1/4 to 1/2 tsp sriracha
1-1/2 tsp saki or a light white wine
1 tsp tamari
Small pinch of salt

Avocado, chopped
1/3 to 1/2 cup cooked sushi rice
Scallions
Rice crackers

Using a ring mold, place the rice inside and press lightly to get an even compact layer. Season the chopped avocado with salt and place in the mold, lightly pressing for an even, slightly compacted layer. Mix the tuna with the next 5 ingredients, then place in the ring mold, pressing and compacting lightly. Remove the ring mold and garnish with the garnish sauce, a couple of sliced scallion pieces and rice crackers.

Garnish sauce - recipe to follow

Last edited:
I absolutely adore sushi, and having made it before, I know it's not easy. Nice job!

I absolutely adore sushi, and having made it before, I know it's not easy. Nice job!

Actually, it is pretty easy once you get the rolling down. I get the fillings and rice ready earlier in the day, leaving the rice covered to cool and refrigerating the fillings. Then you just roll. I made 6 rolls in less than 20 minutes since everything was prepped.

Believe me, my BIL watched me make rolls one time when he was visiting, then went home and made a bunch of rolls for a 4th of July party. He cooked pretty well but wasn't much for fiddly stuff and he did just fine rolling.

You can also make hand rolls. They are super easy being just cones.

Actually, it is pretty easy once you get the rolling down. I get the fillings and rice ready earlier in the day, leaving the rice covered to cool and refrigerating the fillings. Then you just roll. I made 6 rolls in less than 20 minutes since everything was prepped.

Believe me, my BIL watched me make rolls one time when he was visiting, then went home and made a bunch of rolls for a 4th of July party. He cooked pretty well but wasn't much for fiddly stuff and he did just fine rolling.

You can also make hand rolls. They are super easy being just cones.
Yeah, I have the bamboo mat and keep nori on hand, with kewpie and sriracha in my frig. I love spicy mayo with tuna,, cuke and scallions. But 9 out of 10 times i just do handrolls out of sheer laziness. Landlocked Ohio keeps me limited on seafood to use but if I can good ahi on sale to use I grab it up.

Back
Top Bottom