Recipe Sweet cornbread

As I said, it's slightly undercooked - but the overall taste is very good. It might be even better tomorrow once the flavours have had a chance to develop.

The strawberry/almond combination is definitely a keeper.

Never tried making corn bread but your recipe seems quite easy to do @Wandering Bob. Just moved to a new flat with better cooking facilities so I'm looking to start baking more. My OH is dairy free so can I use a substitute?

Never tried making corn bread but your recipe seems quite easy to do @Wandering Bob. Just moved to a new flat with better cooking facilities so I'm looking to start baking more. My OH is dairy free so can I use a substitute?

Yes, @alexander making cornbread is easy. You'll find my recipe for simple cornbread here:

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/simple-cornbread.13130/

The basic recipe - as do all my additional recipes quoted in this thread for sweet cornbread - contains eggs, butter and milk.

I'm afraid I do not understand the last part of your post. I have no idea what an "OH" is.

If you are looking to create a vegan equivalent then maybe you should direct your query to @morning glory - or of course, you could just use your own initiative and have a go

Other Half

We were watching America's Worst Cooks on On Demand tonight and Chef Anne made cornbread battet, put it in the pan, then pushed plum slices down into the batter and baked. It seemed to go over quite well. Rest of meal was fried chicken and green beans.

Other Half

We were watching America's Worst Cooks on On Demand tonight and Chef Anne made cornbread battet, put it in the pan, then pushed plum slices down into the batter and baked

Thanks @medtran49 …"Other Half". I was just emerging from 5 hours of fractured sleep when it dawned on me that was what the poster meant. Seems to be a sad reflection on the state of modern living that people's lives are so busy that they can't spare the two seconds necessary to actually write "other half" - makes me wonder how on Earth they'd be able to spare the 5 minutes or so necessary to prepare cornbread. Equally, it's a fair reflection of how grumpy old people can be in the morning.

I like the idea of just pushing plum slices into the batter - you can gauge the distribution easily too. I just bet pears would work wonderfully too...

I'm probably trying to over-complicate this … but just as with the Quatre Quart (poundcake) variations that I was playing with in July, I look for three flavours. A background of something like cinnamon or vanilla, then two upfront and detectable flavours such as date & raisin. I haven't managed to do that with a sweet cornbread yet - stuck on two's : chocolate/orange, almond/strawberry (@morning glory 's idea), cranberry/orange will be made this weekend, almond/orange is another one that I've lined up. With a little bit more thought, I guess I'll have enough to keep me 'playing' right through September. To my surprise, I've found that they don't work as desserts, but they are quite fantastic for breakfast.

If you think of any two's (or three's) that you think I should be trialling in the interests of creating a perfect breakfast food, please do share your ideas.

Seems to be a sad reflection on the state of modern living that people's lives are so busy that they can't spare the two seconds necessary to actually write "other half" -

Oh, I think its particularly when folk use a smart phone with a small keypad. Its easier to use an abbreviation where you can.

Good to see you back @alexander. Please do try it! You say your OH is dairy-free so are eggs OK? If so then simply follow @Wandering Bob's recipe and substitute a plant milk for whole milk and a dairy-free margarine for the butter. And let us know how it works out!

Seems to be a sad reflection on the state of modern living that people's lives are so busy that they can't spare the two seconds necessary to actually write "other half" -

Sorry but was using a smart phone so it a pain to type everything in full. I'm going to make corn bread this weekend for Sunday brunch. In USA is it served with anything particular for breakfast or brunch?

Mod.Edit Please note that an edited version of this post has been copied to a new thread. Replies to this post have also been moved. See here What to serve with cornbread?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are looking to create a vegan equivalent then maybe you should direct your query to @morning glory - or of course, you could just use your own initiative and have a go

I will have a go in the morning. It doesn't need to be vegan only dairy free so I'll just use soya milk in place of cow's milk and follow your recipe for the sweet cornbread. I'll try to take a photo if I can and I'm going to serve it with cooked brunch of bacon and eggs. I'll also put jam and honey on the table so we can decide if we eat as a different course like you do with toast and marmalade for English breakfast.

Cranberry/orange cornbread - as recipe in post #1, plus 60g dried cranberries and 1 teaspoon of arôme fleur d'oranger as a substitute for the vanilla essence

Initial impressions - the texture's good (despite an error in prep) but perhaps a little on the dry side. The taste hasn't had a chance to come through yet, but already I can detect a delightful cranberry flavour with a back taste of fleur d'oranger. By tomorrow morning this should have all settled down and I can make a definitive note here (and I should have also had some feedback from E). But I'm optimistic …

Cranberry cornbread 2.JPG

It certainly looks good and orange and cranberry flavours should be good together.

I was wondering about lemon and ? as a flavouring.

It certainly looks good and orange and cranberry flavours should be good together.

It's nearly all gone. I'll have to make another one tomorrow or Tuesday. E reckoned it was great. I think it'll be even better tomorrow morning

Lots of ex-forum interest in it too

I was wondering about lemon and ? as a flavouring.

I've been thinking about that. I made a QQ citron once - just zest & lemon juice. Couldn't decide back then what to combine lemon with either

Wondering about lemon & thyme - as a 'savoury cornbread' - I'm not yet convinced. I also wondered about Lucy's goats cheese … which has a natural citron-y flavour (although Simon, Lucy's partner, once told me that he thought it just tasted of old 'nanny goat). Don't want to muddle this thread any further by adding ideas for savoury cornbread though.

I was thinking a sweet lemon cornbread but I can't decide what other ingredient might work. Maybe just lemon on its own would be good.

Back
Top Bottom