1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 pecan halves
1/4 cup sliced dried apricots
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 TB. butter, melted
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. salt

Place sweet potatoes in an ungreased 1 1/2 qt. baking dish. Combine remaining ingredients; pour over the potatoes. Bake uncovered, at 350F for 45 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

Blimey! This is so-oo sweet! For which course would this be served? I'm assuming a dessert.

We don't have canned sweet potatoes here so I'm not sure how they are when canned. Can you explain?

no lol It's been many years since I have bought canned sweet potatoes. I don't remember what they tasted like, or if they were sweetened.

No, it's not a dessert. I guess you would call it one of the main course, usually at Thanksgiving dinner.

Yep, that absolutely would be a side dish with the main course - and just to make sure they're sweet enough, a lot of folks will melt some marshmallows over them.

Canned sweet potatoes are nearly always overcooked. :(

Yep, that absolutely would be a side dish with the main course - and just to make sure they're sweet enough, a lot of folks will melt some marshmallows over them.

:ohmy: I really can't imagine eating so much sweet stuff alongside the main course. I'm sure you know TastyReuben that this is very alien to UK cuisine.

Having said this - I also know that in medieval times (in the UK) there was very little distinction between sweet & savoury dishes and (we are talking about the rich people here) both types of dishes were served on the table at the same time. So people helped themselves to whatever they wanted in whatever order.

So people helped themselves to whatever they wanted in whatever order.
That's what I love about that Irish TV show "Lords And Ladles" - they make older recipes, and talk about the eating habits of the well-to-do. All I can say is, gout had to be running rampant through the upper classes.

Lots of pickled things, lots of organ meats, and lots of mixed meats. We talk about turducken nowadays like that's some kind of showstopper...ha! They were stuffing goats into cows into giraffes into blue whales - and that was the starter! :lol:

That stuff is really fascinating to me.

morning glory - I want to add this: when we first moved to the UK, we noticed two differences culinarily almost immediately:

1. All the sandwiches had butter on them

2. Desserts tasted decidedly under sweetened, compared to American desserts.

That second one took some adjustment, and my wife, who has much more of a sweet tooth than I do, never really embraced that. She would occasionally sprinkle sugar over a cake to bump up the sweetness, and when we went to Vienna and had Sacher torte, she rather too loudly proclaimed, "This tastes awful! Where's the sugar bowl?!" :laugh:

One of my favorite things at work there was the occasional potluck, because I used to pick things that were very American to make, things that (at least at that time) weren't common in the UK. It was fun (and a bit funny, sometimes) to see my British coworkers pulling apart something I made, trying to work out what it was.

Whenever I made some kind of dessert, they'd always say the same things: "Oh, it's so sweet!" They'd always finish it, though, and circle around for more ("Oh, Sergeant Tasty, this really is just too sweet <cuts slice of sugar pie>, I really don't know how you can eat this <takes bite>, I do think my teeth are aching <takes another bite>, oh my...!").

Everybody likes sugar. :laugh:

So - you mean that most sandwiches in the States are plain bread with a filling and no butter or marge?

We are off topic - maybe a new sandwich thread?
Yes, like if I were to get a ham and cheese sandwich from a sandwich shop, I'd expect to be asked if I wanted mustard and/or mayo, but there wouldn't be butter there, and if I said, "Smear a little butter on that for me," they'd look at me like I had three heads. :)

Now, back to sugar: when we were kids, Mom frequently gave us spoonfuls of plain white sugar as a treat. Even now, if I'm cooking and something uses brown sugar, more often than not, after I measure it out, I'll sneak a spoonful from the jar before I put it back. I may or may not have done that this morning...:whistling:

My mother used to make a sweet potato casserole. The original was canned sweet potatoes, Brown sugar, butter and pecans, cinnamon I think. She eventually started using boiled or baked fresh sweet potatoes. It was never one of my favorites. I'd rather have a baked sweet potato with butter and salt and pepper.

There is a sweet potato pie that is a dessert, but I don't remember what's in it, though I would assume brown sugar, butter, probably evaporated milk, cinnamon, maybe nutmeg.

The only time I put butter on a sandwich is when it's grilled and that's on the outside, though a lot of people have started putting mayo on the outside then grilling.

no lol It's been many years since I have bought canned sweet potatoes. I don't remember what they tasted like, or if they were sweetened.

No, it's not a dessert. I guess you would call it one of the main course, usually at Thanksgiving dinner.

I would have to serve this as a dessert. Seriously!!!

I actually think most desserts themselves are too sweet. And I don't eat more than a polite bite of those.

The only time I put butter on a sandwich is when it's grilled and that's on the outside, though a lot of people have started putting mayo on the outside then grilling.

Other than those grilled sandwiches - no, we seldom put butter on sandwiches. Mother used to make me peanut butter and butter sandwiches however, when I was a kid.

Back
Top Bottom