4 cloves of garlic, crushed
400 g ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
1 1/3 tsp chilli powder
1/3 tsp ground cumin
1/3 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground turmeric
1 ¼ tsp salt

Method:

1. To prepare the chard, cut the stems from the leaves. Cut the stems into 4 cm pieces and slice the leaves into 4 cm strips.

2. Put the oil into a large lidded frying pan and, when hot, add the mustard seeds. When they pop, add the onions and cook for 12-15 minutes, until soft and golden brown. In the meantime, peel the potatoes and cut into 2 cm cubes. When the onions are ready, add the ginger and the garlic to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes, then add the potatoes and 200 ml water. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.

3. Add the tomatoes and the chard stalks, cover and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the chard stalks are soft. Add the chilli, cumin, coriander, turmeric and salt and stir gently. Finally, add the chard leaves, coat with the mixture and pop the lid back on for a final 2 to 3 minutes, until the leaves have wilted.

4. Serve with hot chapattis or rice, yoghurt and a little pickle.

Notes:

1. The original recipe (from Fresh India by Meera Sodha) calls for rainbow chard or Swiss chard.
2. Photo: mine

@Elawin

Lovely vegetarian dish .. I am a grand fan of Swiss Chard, and we have a variety of Swiss Chard called " Acelgas " ..

I have 2 tiny questions:

(1) Why don´t you use home made Vegetable stock broth instead of wáter ?

(2) I come from an enormous Evoo producing country as you know. Cataluna produces an incredible amount of Evoo in Tarragona and Gerona. I am very skeptical about oils / lards etcetra ..

What is Rapeseed Oil ? Is this Bio / Organic / Substainable ? And what are its origins ? And which countries produce this ? I have Heard of it obviously however, have never used it or bought it and have never tasted it .. A flower variety vegetable oil "Can( for canada ) ola". This is not common in Spain (1% of farming) and it is used for livestock alimentation ( feed) ..

Catalan Evoo, is a staple in our home and I collect Evoos, and have 30 bottles of various types .. Small, médium, large, Green for salads, goldish green .. Etcetra ..
Fruity / For all ..

Last edited:
@Elawin

Lovely vegetarian dish .. I am a grand fan of Swiss Chard, and we have a variety of Swiss Chard called " Acelgas " ..

I have 2 tiny questions:

(1) Why don´t you use home made Vegetable stock broth instead of wáter ?

(2) I come from an enormous Evoo producing country as you know. Cataluna produces an incredible amount of Evoo in Tarragona and Gerona. I am very skeptical about oils / lards etcetra ..

What is Rapeseed Oil ? Is this Bio / Organic / Substainable ? And what are its origins ? And which countries produce this ? I have Heard of it obviously however, have never used it or bought it and have never tasted it .. A flower variety vegetable oil "Can( for canada ) ola". This is not common in Spain (1% of farming) and it is used for livestock alimentation ( feed) ..

Catalan Evoo, is a staple in our home and I collect Evoos, and have 30 bottles of various types .. Small, médium, large, Green for salads, goldish green .. Etcetra ..
Fruity / For all ..

(1) Not my recipe, Francesca, but although the dish is spicy some vegetable stocks are quite strong and could change the flavours.
(2) Canola and UK rapeseed oil are very similar. Rapeseed oil has very little flavour and the plant is grown in great quantities in the UK, which is why a lot of our fields are bright yellow! Cold-pressed rapeseed oil is supposed to be one of the healthiest oils to use for frying. It is used for all sorts of frying right up to high temperature deep frying. Olive oil in the UK is more expensive in comparison. I doubt that there would be any problem, however, in using a very light flavoured olive oil if you wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom