1 onion, thinly sliced
1 red onion, sliced
1-2 garlic cloves, finely chopped, according to taste
1 x 400 g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp crushed dried chilli
Salt and black pepper, according to taste

Method:

1. Heat the olive oil in a wide pan, and cook the onion on a low heat for about 10 minutes until soft.
2. Meanwhile, detach the chard leaves from the stems. Cut the stems into thin strips and the leaves into ribbons.
3. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the chickpeas, chard stems, paprika, chilli, and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring often.
4. Add 2 tbsp water, the drained chard leaves and the red onion, and cook for a further 5 minutes, still stirring. Add a little more water if necessary.
5. Finally, season and serve with a drizzle of olive oil.

Note: For 1 person as a main meal, use ½ head of chard and ½ can chickpeas with the other ingredients as per list.

I'm thinking this is a before picture? I think that chard or spinach and chickpeas are a good combination. I've seen Indian recipes with both and this looks along those lines. I will try it.

I'm thinking this is a before picture? I think that chard or spinach and chickpeas are a good combination. I've seen Indian recipes with both and this looks along those lines. I will try it.
No; that is how it looks when it has been cooked. I just took the photo of it in the pan because if I'd have dished it up all you would have seen would be a mountain on a much smaller plate. It's a pretty dry dish, so none of the ingredients would have cooked down. I only suggested adding the 2 tbsp of water because it would have been too dry otherwise, or it would have been burnt. The only moisture at the end is the natural moisture in the ingredients and the oil drizzled over it. It's a bit like a warm salad :D

Back
Top Bottom