This light, fluffy steamed pudding cooks in just four minutes in the microwave. Serve it with golden syrup, or jam and custard.
Preparation time: less than 30 mins
Cooking time: less than 10 mins
125 g/4 oz butter, melted, plus extra to grease the pudding bowl
125 g/4 oz caster sugar
150 g/5 oz plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 small lemons, zest and juice
1-2 tbsp milk
4 tbsp golden syrup, or jam if preferred, to serve
custard, optional, to serve
1. Grease a 1.2 litre/2 pint bowl (suitable for the microwave). Sieve together the flour and baking powder. Tip the butter, sugar, eggs, flour and baking powder into a food processor and mix to a paste. If you're not using a food processor beat the sugar and butter together in a bowl, then mix in the eggs, baking powder and flour.
2. Add the lemon juice and zest, continue to mix and add enough milk for the mixture reach a dropping consistency.
3. Spoon the mixture into the greased bowl. Cover with cling film and microwave on full power for four minutes (or until the sponge begins to shrink from the sides and is springy to the touch).
4. Leave to stand for 2-3 minutes before turning out and serving with golden syrup or jam and custard.
1. Recipe courtesy of http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/syrupspongewithprope_4983
2. I always used to make it this way when the kids were young, but I used to put the golden syrup or jam in the bowl first and spoon the sponge mixture over it. Be warned though; doing it this way means it is scaldingly hot!