Recipe Tahini Paste

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
8:23 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com

I have bought tahini paste before, but I found that it was fun making it myself. And, while I have seen commercial tahini paste have the look and feel of a light-colored creamy peanut butter, I've always been partial to the chunky, natural style peanut butter. So, that's what I've made. I have to believe commercial tahini paste has much more oil than mine did, since mine never got to a liquid consistency.

One thing I also noticed was that commercial tahini paste is often light in color. This is because they aren't roasting the seeds, or maybe they don't roast them as much as I'd like. Peanut butter would be beige-colored, too, if they didn't roast the nuts. Besides adding a pleasant color, roasting brings out the nuttiness in the seeds. If you buy sesame seeds that say roasted or toasted, that's all well and good, but still toast them some more! The ones I bought were marked as toasted, but I still put them in the pan.

Finally, I encountered while researching this the term "unhulled" vs "hulled" sesame seeds. It seems that just about any sesame seeds you buy in a supermarket will be hulled. If they're "unhulled", it means that they still have the shell on them, which will impart a bitterness.

Ingredients

1 cup sesame seeds
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Heat a pan to medium heat. Roast sesame seeds in a single layer until you can smell the nuttiness, about 30 seconds. Shake the pan or use a spatula to keep them from burning. Repeat until all the seeds are roasted.

2. Add seeds to a food processor. Process until the seeds have a crumbly consistency, periodically scraping down the sides with a spatula.

3. Add olive oil, water, and salt. Process until a paste forms, periodically scraping down the sides with a spatula.

View attachment 44511

I have bought tahini paste before, but I found that it was fun making it myself. And, while I have seen commercial tahini paste have the look and feel of a light-colored creamy peanut butter, I've always been partial to the chunky, natural style peanut butter. So, that's what I've made. I have to believe commercial tahini paste has much more oil than mine did, since mine never got to a liquid consistency.

One thing I also noticed was that commercial tahini paste is often light in color. This is because they aren't roasting the seeds, or maybe they don't roast them as much as I'd like. Peanut butter would be beige-colored, too, if they didn't roast the nuts. Besides adding a pleasant color, roasting brings out the nuttiness in the seeds. If you buy sesame seeds that say roasted or toasted, that's all well and good, but still toast them some more! The ones I bought were marked as toasted, but I still put them in the pan.

Finally, I encountered while researching this the term "unhulled" vs "hulled" sesame seeds. It seems that just about any sesame seeds you buy in a supermarket will be hulled. If they're "unhulled", it means that they still have the shell on them, which will impart a bitterness.

Ingredients

1 cup sesame seeds
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Heat a pan to medium heat. Roast sesame seeds in a single layer until you can smell the nuttiness, about 30 seconds. Shake the pan or use a spatula to keep them from burning. Repeat until all the seeds are roasted.

View attachment 44507

2. Add seeds to a food processor. Process until the seeds have a crumbly consistency, periodically scraping down the sides with a spatula.

View attachment 44508

View attachment 44509

3. Add olive oil, water, and salt. Process until a paste forms, periodically scraping down the sides with a spatula.

View attachment 44510

Very nice and photos are very good as well

Back
Top Bottom