Recipe Tahinove Hatz - my cheats version of Armenian tahini bread

Burt Blank

Legendary Member
Local time
11:49 AM
I make a batch of pizza dough roll or pull it out to about half the thickness needed for pizza. Smear the Tahini over the dough, roll like a swiss roll. Shape it like a coiled rope and bake. Purist Armenian cooks would brand me as a heretic if they read this. After you have smeared let your creative juices flow, I added a good smeared dollop of strawberry jam. It came out like a refined roly poly. I brought it back to reality with birds custard.

[Mod. addition: full recipe below]

Last edited by a moderator:
I make a batch of pizza dough roll or pull it out to about half the thickness needed for pizza. Smear the Tahini over the dough, roll like a swiss roll. Shape it like a coiled rope and bake. Purist Armenian cooks would brand me as a heretic if they read this. After you have smeared let your creative juices flow, I added a good smeared dollop of strawberry jam. It came out like a refined roly poly. I brought it back to reality with birds custard.
Burt Blank
Sounds amazing - something I would like to try. You really need to post a recipe that can be replicated. :chef:

Okay , This is the one my Kurdish friend Dil made for us 2 years ago when we first got to Split. Dil is an amazing middle eastern cook. His knowledge of Patisserie is better than mine. When his wife Trine and he arrive 2 month vacation in their holiday apartment below us when we lived on Znjan beach, we would wander down, swim have a beer and pizza at about 12.00 and fight about who was cooking that night. Not this year, he got Covid in March and still is not strong enough to come.

Ingredients
Bread:
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 3/4 cup water 105-115˚F
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Filling:
  • 1 cup tahini sesame paste
  • 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon optional
Topping:
  • Olive oil for brushing
  • Remaining sugar with or without cinnamon
  • Sesame seeds for sprinkling
Instructions
  • In a small bowl, sprinkle yeast over lukewarm water. Let sit for a minute, then stir to combine. Let sit until frothy, about 10 minutes.
  • In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a dough blade or a large bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar, yeast with water, and olive oil until dough comes together. On a lightly floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic. Lightly grease a large bowl and add the dough, turning to coat. Cover and allow to rest until doubled, about 2 hours.
  • Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment or lightly grease. In a small bowl, combine sugar with cinnamon, if using.
  • Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces. Cover one half. On a lightly floured surface, roll the other half into a large, thin circle. Spread half of the tahini evenly over the circle. Sprinkle with 1/3rd of the cinnamon sugar. There are two ways to form the dough. One way is to create a hole in the center of the circle. Gently, but tightly, roll and stretch the dough from the center hole towards the outside edges. Cut the rope circle into 4-6 equal pieces. The circle can also be rolled end to end, gently stretched/rolled to increase the length, then cut into 4-6 equal pieces.
  • Gently roll and stretch each piece until it is doubled in length. Coil the rope tightly, end to end, into the shape of a snail. Flatten the coil lightly, then roll into a thin circle 4-5 inches wide, about 1/3 inch thick. Repeat with remaining pieces, then remaining dough half.
  • Place the rolls 1-2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with olive oil. If desired, sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar and sesame seeds.
  • Bake in preheated oven until golden, 12-15 minutes

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom