Recipe Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup

AgileMJOLNIR

Local time
12:39 PM
This was a delicious comforting soup I really enjoyed. Rich in a delicious spiced broth with extremely tender beef chunks, soft noodles and blanched Bok Choy this one is a winner for me and I’m no doubt make it again soon.

I cook a lot of things but I”m definitely a sucker for a good soup, stew, curry etc. I highly recommend giving this one a go if you like a spice enriched broth.

IMG_8802.jpeg

Ingredients
3 pounds beef shank ((1.4 kg, cut into 2-inch chunks))
2 tablespoons oil
A 2-inch piece of ginger ((smashed))
6 cloves garlic ((smashed))
3 scallions ((cut into 2-inch segments))
1 onion ((cut into wedges))
1 tomato ((cut into wedges))
4 dried chilies ((ripped in half))
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons spicy bean paste (douban jiang)
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup Shaoxing wine
8 cups water ((to make the soup broth))
1 Chinese aromatic herb packet ((lu bao––see below for ingredients to create your own spice sachet))
16 ounces fresh wheat (white) noodles ((900g))
A small handful of bok choy for each serving
Cilantro ((finely chopped))
Scallions ((finely chopped))
Pickled mustard greens ((to taste, also known as snow vegetable or 雪菜; note this is different from Cantonese haam choy))

To create your own spice sachet, tie up the following ingredients in cheese cloth
4 star anise
1 Chinese cinnamon stick
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
2 tablespoons Sichuan peppercorns
¼ teaspoon five spice powder
¼ teaspoon black pepper

Method
Fill a stockpot with water, enough to cover your beef and bring to a rolling boil. Add the beef. One it begins to boil, boil for 1 minute. Strain in a colander and rinse well. This remove nylon remaining scum and impurities from your boiled beef.

Heat the same stockpot to medium heat. Add the oil, crushed ginger, garlic, scallions, and onions in that order. Stir often to prevent the garlic and ginger from burning. Let the onion turn translucent then add the tomato and dried chilies. This takes 2-4 minutes.

Add the meat to the pot. Then add the tomato paste, spicy bean paste, sugar, soy sauce, and Shaoxing wine, and mix well to thoroughly combine all flavors.

Pour 8 cups of water into the pot. Add the store bought spice packet or your homemade satchel. Bring to a boil.
Place a lid on the pot and cook the soup on a low simmer for 3-4 hours.

Boil your noodles per package instructions. During the last minute of your noodle cook toss in the Bok Choy and blanch, then remove and rinse with cold water to stop them from cooking. Then strain your noodles.

To serve, add noodles to a bowl with beef and Bok Choy. Ladle in broth to cover these ingredients half way. Garnish with sprinklings of finely minced cilantro, scallions, and Chinese pickled mustard greens.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:
This was a delicious comforting soup I really enjoyed. Rich in a delicious spiced broth with extremely tender beef chunks, soft noodles and blanched Bok Choy this one is a winner for me and I’m no doubt make it again soon.

I cook a lot of things but I”m definitely a sucker for a good soup, stew, curry etc. I highly recommend giving this one a go if you like a spice enriched broth.

View attachment 112701

Ingredients
3 pounds beef shank ((1.4 kg, cut into 2-inch chunks))
2 tablespoons oil
A 2-inch piece of ginger ((smashed))
6 cloves garlic ((smashed))
3 scallions ((cut into 2-inch segments))
1 onion ((cut into wedges))
1 tomato ((cut into wedges))
4 dried chilies ((ripped in half))
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons spicy bean paste (douban jiang)
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup Shaoxing wine
8 cups water ((to make the soup broth))
1 Chinese aromatic herb packet ((lu bao––see below for ingredients to create your own spice sachet))
16 ounces fresh wheat (white) noodles ((900g))
A small handful of bok choy for each serving
Cilantro ((finely chopped))
Scallions ((finely chopped))
Pickled mustard greens ((to taste, also known as snow vegetable or 雪菜; note this is different from Cantonese haam choy))

To create your own spice sachet, tie up the following ingredients in cheese cloth
4 star anise
1 Chinese cinnamon stick
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
2 tablespoons Sichuan peppercorns
¼ teaspoon five spice powder
¼ teaspoon black pepper

Method
Fill a stockpot with water, enough to cover your beef and bring to a rolling boil. Add the beef. One it begins to boil, boil for 1 minute. Strain in a colander and rinse well. This remove nylon remaining scum and impurities from your boiled beef.

Heat the same stockpot to medium heat. Add the oil, crushed ginger, garlic, scallions, and onions in that order. Stir often to prevent the garlic and ginger from burning. Let the onion turn translucent then add the tomato and dried chilies. This takes 2-4 minutes.

Add the meat to the pot. Then add the tomato paste, spicy bean paste, sugar, soy sauce, and Shaoxing wine, and mix well to thoroughly combine all flavors.

Pour 8 cups of water into the pot. Add the store bought spice packet or your homemade satchel. Bring to a boil.
Place a lid on the pot and cook the soup on a low simmer for 3-4 hours.

Boil your noodles per package instructions. During the last minute of your noodle cook toss in the Bok Choy and blanch, then remove and rinse with cold water to stop them from cooking. Then strain your noodles.

To serve, add noodles to a bowl with beef and Bok Choy. Ladle in broth to cover these ingredients half way. Garnish with sprinklings of finely minced cilantro, scallions, and Chinese pickled mustard greens.

Source

Yum yum! Sounds full on and lovely too!
A lot of ingredients there but worth effort.
What’s in spicy bean paste (douban jiang)?

Back
Top Bottom