Talking tofu

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:56 AM
[Mod.edit: this post and following few moved here to form a new topic (MG)]

Throwing out tofu doesn't seem like food waste, to me. If I were to BUY tofu, that would be food waste, because it WILL end up in the trash. :laugh:

The main type of food that gets wasted in my house is fresh produce that I can't eat fast enough. If I buy too much meat, I can freeze some or all of it. But something like fresh lettuce isn't going to freeze well for future use. I do freeze chilis, as they will get cooked later, so it is okay if they go soft.

CD
I don't buy tofu, but if someone gave it to me, I would find a tasty way to use it. I love the tofu that goes in miso soup...I've also had grilled tofu that I liked.

Last edited by a moderator:
At most local bars (not in the tourist district) in Hawaii, when you sit down at the bar, the bar keep (male or female-no matter) will offer you a complimentary snack. This one bar in our neighborhood usually gave you a small bowel of Tofu topped with Shoyu (Soy Sauce) and Bonito Flakes - OH MY GRAVY ALL OVER MY TWO SCOOP RICE (that's OMG! in my world) love that s#!+ !!!!! Now that I've found Tofu here in Cowboyville Arizona, I need some Bonito Flakes , oh and a Beer !!!

At most local bars (not in the tourist district) in Hawaii, when you sit down at the bar, the bar keep (male or female-no matter) will offer you a complimentary snack. This one bar in our neighborhood usually gave you a small bowel of Tofu topped with Shoyu (Soy Sauce) and Bonito Flakes - OH MY GRAVY ALL OVER MY TWO SCOOP RICE (that's OMG! in my world) love that s#!+ !!!!! Now that I've found Tofu here in Cowboyville Arizona, I need some Bonito Flakes , oh and a Beer !!!
How similar are bonita flakes to Furikake? I have two containers of Furikake, one is the regular and the other is a salmon Furikake which I haven't tried yet. I was just wondering if bonita flakes are more like fish food or if there is other stuff in it?

How similar are bonita flakes to Furikake? I have two containers of Furikake, one is the regular and the other is a salmon Furikake which I haven't tried yet. I was just wondering if bonita flakes are more like fish food or if there is other stuff in it?
Not very similar, other than they are both salty. Bonito is shaved dried fish; furikaki is seasoned dried seaweed (and vegan).

Not very similar, other than they are both salty. Bonito is shaved dried fish; furikaki is seasoned dried seaweed (and vegan).
I don't think my salmon furikake is vegan, lol.

We used to catch Bonito when I lived in Florida. Not a good eating fish as they're rather bloody. So maybe drying it transforms it.

I really like tofu, and I don’t understand why it’s so maligned - it’s bland, yes, but it’s so inoffensive and can be cooked and seasoned in so many different ways. It’s the vegan equivalent of boneless skinless chicken breast.

My husband isn’t fond of the texture, but he’ll eat firm tofu cooked so it’s a bit crispy on the outside. One way he really loves it, though, is soft tofu coated in a cornstarch/cornmeal mixture and shallow-fried in a bit of olive oil. He goes nuts for tofu when I prepare it this way.

The "problem" with tofu is that it tastes of almost nothing - but I feel the same way about ricotta, paneer and polenta. What makes them all interesting is what you put with them: herbs, sauces, spices, etc.
The last dish I had with tofu (because I rarely, if ever, buy it) was Com Tam, at a Vietnamese restaurant in Cincinnati . Broken rice, delicious pickled veg, an egg and some nicely spiced fried tofu.

Back
Top Bottom