• 200 ml plain yoghurt
  • 1 tsp Kasmiri red chilli powder
  • 1 medium onion (150 gm), chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated.
  • 4 - 6 fresg red chillis, chopped
  • 1 tsp garam masala
Method

Score both sides of the chicken drumsticks about 5mm apart. Place the chicken in a bowl and add the lime juice and salt. Mix well, rubbing the salt and juice into the scores. Leave aside.

Blend the yoghurt, chilli powder, onion, garlic, ginger, chilis and garam masala to a smooth paste.

Pour the marinade over the chicken pieces and mix well to ensure the chicken pieces are well coated.

Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

Pre-heat the oven to its maximum temperature (250 degC).

Place the chicken pieces on a roasting tray and allow much of the marinade to drain off. Put in the oven and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.

Serve hot with rice, potatoes or salad.

That looks and reads as a fantastic dish. Is there anything one can do with the excess marinade so as to not waste?

That looks and reads as a fantastic dish. Is there anything one can do with the excess marinade so as to not waste?

I have frozen tikka marinade in the past without significant deterioration so I would guess it could be frozen.

Looks really good!
The only problem with the marinade is that it´s already been "contaminated" with raw chicken, so it wouldn´t be advisable to use it on anything else. I suppose if you froze it immediately, you could use it on your next batch of tandoori.
When I make chicken tikka, I only use about 50 gms of yoghurt anyway - any excess goes in the bin.

Looks really good!
The only problem with the marinade is that it´s already been "contaminated" with raw chicken, so it wouldn´t be advisable to use it on anything else. I suppose if you froze it immediately, you could use it on your next batch of tandoori.
When I make chicken tikka, I only use about 50 gms of yoghurt anyway - any excess goes in the bin.
I was wondering if it could be cooked as a sauce or gravy.

I freeze leftover breading when I make fried chicken or fish with no issues upon reusing it.

Back
Top Bottom