Taste of spices

Amateur1

Local time
2:44 AM
I find that some spices seem to have a taste when I swallow. Does this phenomenon have a name?
When I make my chocolate quinoa correctly it does this. If I add wattleseed it doesn't. Could that be because it's roasted? I think roasting makes a spice more aromatic, but less flavoursome.
What do people think?

Last edited:
I find that some spices seem to have a taste when I swallow. Does this phenomenon have a name?

Well, they should have a taste. Not sure what you mean. Do you mean some spices don't have a taste?

Toasting spices definitely adds to their aromatic quality and it adds flavour too, in my opinion.

When I make my chocolate quinoa correctly it does this. If I add wattleseed it doesn't. Could that be because it's roasted? I think roasting makes a spice more aromatic, but less flavoursome.
What do people think?

I dry roast my seeds and it definitely improves the taste. And the smell is a delight in the kitchen!!

Russ

The only thing I can think of is that you are noticing the effect of different areas of taste on your tongue. (The "old" classic 5 areas for 5 tastes map isn't valid anymore, but in those areas the predominant taste still applies, so the area that predominantly tastes salty, can also taste the other 4 tastes. It's not exclusively salty is what I'm trying to say.)

So, the very back of the tongue, which would be the last point food passes over before swallowing primarily senses the "bitter" taste. It's not exclusive to only bitter, nor are other areas of the tongue exclusive to sweet, sour, salty, and unami. But in those areas the majority of papillae (taste buds) are for that bitter taste (5 tastes, 5 types of papillae). Also as you swallow, you'll also be mixing in with nasal receptors to add to the taste concept.

I can only guess that this is what you're picking up on.

This article (Cleveland Clinic) explains it better What Are Taste Buds?

Thanks everyone. Morning Glory , The spices have a taste when I put them in my mouth. I guess I'm trying to prolong that taste.

Last edited:
This seems to work. Reduce the tahina slightly and replace with butter. Still experimenting with the optionals. In this case I had 0.5 tsp of sumac.
How would the experts change things if they wanted a rich chocolate flavoured dessert which still has some nutritional value? I'd like to suggest a competition for a healthy chocolatey dessert.
The only thing that makes me uneasy is the truvia, but I don't want to have 32g (possibly more if truvia is stronger) of sugar in one sitting.

Recipe - Quinoa Chocolate Porridge 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom