Tate and Lyle Golden Syrup drops 150 year old logo

Odd as it my seem I've never looked closely at the old tin despite it always being in the house since childhood. It is rather odd as bees wouldn't swarm over a dead lion - and there is no honey in Golden Syrup anyway. I suppose they thought it inappropriate to feature a slain lion.

I don't really mind the new logo as it still looks 'old fashioned'.

It sounds like the original logo is staying put on the tin, though, so if you want to imagine all sorts of dead-lion-and-bees fantasies over your pancakes, you should be good. :wink:

Odd as it my seem I've never looked closely at the old tin despite it always being in the house since childhood. It is rather odd as bees wouldn't swarm over a dead lion - and there is no honey in Golden Syrup anyway. I suppose they thought it inappropriate to feature a slain lion.

I don't really mind the new logo as it still looks 'old fashioned'.
Without wanting to risk anyones scorn, a lot of religious stories don't sound very fact based 😂

It sounds like the original logo is staying put on the tin, though, so if you want to imagine all sorts of dead-lion-and-bees fantasies over your pancakes, you should be good. :wink:
Yep, the tin is keeping the old logo

But the classic Lyle's Golden Syrup tin will be excluded from the rebrand, keeping its more than 150-year-old packaging design.

I just wish I could still get it in Australia. I could when we first moved here, but the supermarkets stopped selling in during covid and haven't restarted. The alternative Australian brand (CSR) golden syrup is brown and tastes totally different and neither of us really likes it. Oddly we can still get their black treacle though.

I've never tried it, but now I need to try it. I see that there's a 173 ounce jug available on Amazon for $65...that's quite the deal, but I think I'll order a smaller on.

Tates also sells other products...I'm disappointed that the double chocolate chip cookies don't have a picture of a dead cow with snakes crawling over it.

I see that there's a 173 ounce jug available on Amazon for $65...that's quite the deal.
Crikey it’s just a thick syrup, worth no more than the £1.75 a pint that’s currently being charged!
It’s syrup that everyones flapjacks have been made with since gawd knows when so it’s a kind of recipe standard over here 😂

Crikey it’s just a thick syrup, worth no more than the £1.75 a pint that’s currently being charged!
It’s syrup that everyones flapjacks have been made with since gawd knows when so it’s a kind of recipe standard over here 😂
I think that's a 5kg tin though... but yeah, that's expensive. I use it in my pikelets (drop scones).

I haven't used Lyle's Golden Syrup in years, because it's just not available here.
However, I've always thought it was totally incongruous to have a dead lion and some bees on the front of the tin, and that odd quote! Now I know.
Back in 2020, during lockdown, I had a go at making some. Must have been for a recipe, I imagine. It's not that difficult to make and probably worthwhile if the original stuff is unavailable.

Back
Top Bottom