Tell me about your chimichurri experiences

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:55 PM
I have a boatload of parsley growing and I want to make some chimichurri. Not only have I never made a chimichurri before, I have never even eaten one! Pesto with basil, yes, but no chimichurri ever. I have seen recipes with mint, but I am not a fan of mint unless it's with sweet tea or chocolate, so no go for me on that.

So researching on the forum I found a recipe that murphyscreek posted several years ago that looks good:
Recipe & Video - Brazilian Beef with Chimichurri

I have some great ribeye steaks in the freezer, but after mentioning it to Mr. OH, he shot that idea down as he is very particular about how he likes his steaks (with blue cheese and horseradish) and isn't on board.

So I have a really nice boneless pork loin I bought a few days back in cryovac that I was going to portion out and freeze for different things with the first one being a creamy mushroom and garlic sauce baked over the pork loin and served with egg noodles, but then I thought this might be a good opportunity to try to use it with chimichurri.

Does anyone know how it works with pork? Any tips, ideas, or recipes would be great, thanks!

I've been to a Brazilian BBQ restaurant we have here a few times, an all you can eat where they bring different cuts of meat on skewers to your table and slice off pieces on request. Whilst mostly a beef fest, they do offer pork loin as well which can be a little dry but I find very enjoyable smothered in chimichurri. I don't know whether that's traditional, and could be just something peculiar to my palette. I've never actually cooked pork and made chimichurri specifically for the pork myself, but can see no reason whatsoever not to.

I've been to a Brazilian BBQ restaurant we have here a few times, an all you can eat where they bring different cuts of meat on skewers to your table and slice off pieces on request. Whilst mostly a beef fest, they do offer pork loin as well which can be a little dry but I find very enjoyable smothered in chimichurri. I don't know whether that's traditional, and could be just something peculiar to my palette. I've never actually cooked pork and made chimichurri specifically for the pork myself, but can see no reason whatsoever not to.
I would love to go to a Brazilian BBQ sometime (I don't think we have one in my smallish city). They might have one in a neighboring city that's much larger (Cleveland) but it's about a 45-minute drive each way. I know they are a bit pricey and back in the day I could have eaten my fill and gotten my money's worth, but these days I eat much smaller portions as I have gotten older. Ah well.

I am going to try your recipe with the pork! Yeah, pork can be rather dry so I will be careful how I cook it.

I'd be tempted to add some fresh oregano to that recipe as well...when I made it for that video my steak marinade had quite a bit of dried oregano in it so I left the fresh stuff out of the sauce.

I'd be tempted to add some fresh oregano to that recipe as well...when I made it for that video my steak marinade had quite a bit of dried oregano in it so I left the fresh stuff out of the sauce.
I happen to have that on hand as well! Sounds like a winner to me, looking forward to it.

I happen to have that on hand as well! Sounds like a winner to me, looking forward to it.
Hahaha....I just watched the video again and I did add dried oregano to the actual chimichurri as well. In my defence it was a while ago. 🙂

Ah yes, although they are often called Brazilian Steakhouses here, or the Brazilian name, Charascuria.

CD

Hahaha....I just watched the video again and I did add dried oregano to the actual chimichurri as well. In my defence it was a while ago. 🙂
Yeah I have a small oregano plant that's doing quite well, not as crazy as this parsley plant. I won't be able to use 1/10th of that parsley in the batch of chimichurri I will be making. I have to find someone who wants some of it and give it away. Most of the people I know who would use it already have it growing in their gardens. I guess I can dry some, too.

Ah yes, although they are often called Brazilian Steakhouses here, or the Brazilian name, Charascuria.

CD
My husband visited one in the keys several years back, but he doesn't remember any chimichurri sauces. He remembers gorging himself on so much meat he was miserable for two days!

Yeah I have a small oregano plant that's doing quite well, not as crazy as this parsley plant. I won't be able to use 1/10th of that parsley in the batch of chimichurri I will be making. I have to find someone who wants some of it and give it away. Most of the people I know who would use it already have it growing in their gardens. I guess I can dry some, too.

My oregano garden has prospered for at least five years. It even survived the "Big Freeze" of 2021. But, this year's heat and drought have nearly killed it. It is about ten percent of what it was at the beginning of Spring.

CD

My husband visited one in the keys several years back, but he doesn't remember any chimichurri sauces. He remembers gorging himself on so much meat he was miserable for two days!
Around here, we called that place Bucket o’ Beef. Us hillbillies can’t pronounce those South American words. :laugh:

A chimichurri must have parsley, olive oil, garlic, oregano, a touch of vinegar, a touch of chile pepper, s & p. Argentinians would claim ownership, but chimichurri can be found in Uruguay, Paraguay, Chile and Brazil. Heavy on the garlic, heavy on the parsley and the oregano, vinegar and hot pepper must come through. There are probably as many variants as there are "authentic Mexican Salsa" recipes.
As you´ve all stated, it´s served with meat, which is what South Americans eat about 97% of the time. A "churrasco" is a piece of grilled meat, steak or piece of beef, so a "churrasqueria" is "a place to eat/buy grilled meat" - as a "panadería" is a place to eat/buy bread.

Has anyone ever used fresh chile peppers? I have a really nice red hot jalapeno just picked from the garden. I always see red pepper flake as an ingredient.

My pork is still in the cryovac in the refrigerator. I did get around to washing a large quantity of parsley but haven't made the chimichurri yet, thinking tomorrow...

I remember years ago there was a restaurant chain called "Joe's Crab Shack" and on the side of the building it had the words "Free crab tomorrow" painted on it. I guess tomorrow never comes, LOL!

Has anyone ever used fresh chile peppers? I have a really nice red hot jalapeno just picked from the garden. I always see red pepper flake as an ingredient.

My pork is still in the cryovac in the refrigerator. I did get around to washing a large quantity of parsley but haven't made the chimichurri yet, thinking tomorrow...

I remember years ago there was a restaurant chain called "Joe's Crab Shack" and on the side of the building it had the words "Free crab tomorrow" painted on it. I guess tomorrow never comes, LOL!

Sadly, Joe's Crab Shack is still around. :yuck:

CD

Back
Top Bottom