Recipe Tequila Lime Crema

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:25 AM
I wanted something a little different for my fish tacos tonight than just ordinary Mexican crema. I could not find a recipe that represented the flavors I wanted, so I created my own. It was wonderful! Tangy, slightly sweet and with a touch of heat, the flavor profile of this crema complemented the other ingredients in my tacos quite nicely. I will definitely make this again.

This recipe makes enough crema for approximately 6 fish tacos.
Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup heavy cream
Juice of 1 lime
1.25 ounces (1 shot) of good tequila
2 tbsp of agave nectar (or honey)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
ground black pepper, to taste
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 small jalapeno pepper, diced

Mix all of the ingredients except for the jalapeno and the cilantro and whisk together in a small bowl or measuring cup, then pour into a small sauce pan and cook on low heat for approximately 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Add diced jalapeno and cook for an additional two minutes.

Pour mixture back into the small bowl or measuring cup and stir in the chopped cilantro. Chill for 20 minutes or until ready to use.

Last edited:
Every grocery store here as Mexican crema on the shelf. There are two kinds. IIRC, one is for savory foods and the other for sweeter foods. But, people who can't get it can do what you did with the sour cream and milk/cream mixture.

CD

Every grocery store here as Mexican crema on the shelf. There are two kinds. IIRC, one is for savory foods and the other for sweeter foods. But, people who can't get it can do what you did with the sour cream and milk/cream mixture.

CD
Our regular grocery stores do not have Mexican crema, but there are mom and pop Mexican grocers here where I could have bought it. I just didn't feel like going anywhere and I had everything I needed on hand to improvise, so that's what I did.

Writing up the fish taco recipe this afternoon. I was supposed to be working today but the project launch was delayed, so now I have time to clean my house and putter around. And I can take my time with the recipe write-up.

This is the one I can get locally at Kroger:
View attachment 71148

The jar's that big, too! :laugh:
Kroger is a national grocery store. In Akron, we only have regional grocery stores such as Giant Eagle and Acme. But, there is a Mexican grocery store about 4 miles from my house that carries all kinds of specialty items that I can't get at the regular grocery store.

Mexican Crema is unheard of in the UK...
And there are ways to make up your own concoction that tastes very close to the real thing. I have read different ways to go about it, one was using sour cream and buttermilk, another was just sour cream and heavy cream, and in the end when it's blending with other flavors from your taco ingredients it's not going to be noticeably different.

And there are ways to make up your own concoction that tastes very close to the real thing. I have read different ways to go about it, one was using sour cream and buttermilk, another was just sour cream and heavy cream, and in the end when it's blending with other flavors from your taco ingredients it's not going to be noticeably different.
Another use for buttermilk! I deem buttermilk the newest superfood! Buttermilk!

Back
Top Bottom