Thai creamed corn

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:59 PM
So I had a creamed corn n ham sammich for tea. When eating I looked down at the top I took off the corn. I've never seen canned food from Thailand before? Still good, but we have corn everywhere in summer.

Do they grow corn in Thailand? I don't know. I don't think its used much in Thai cooking. Or is it? Yorky or new member Unprofessional Cooker will know.

A few years ago my next door neighbours (to the south) had a 2,000 sq metre field of sweetcorn growing. They would sell it on the roadside. Why they stopped I don't know but I'd guess that it wasn't profitable. However, they have nothing growing there now.

I'm not aware that it's used much in Thai cooking, not in my neck of the woods anyway.

[Edit: after consulting with my wife I find that baby corn is used a little in cooking in the North West but generally sweet corn is eaten just as it is]

Last edited:
That is something that I haven't had in a long time! I used to eat it when I was a kid!! :wink:

Do they grow corn in Thailand? I don't know. I don't think its used much in Thai cooking. Or is it? Yorky or new member Unprofessional Cooker will know.
They do grow corn in Thailand. So many types of them purple, yellow, white they are so cheap if you by from local even nowadays they sell corn that you can eat it raw and they get those from japan. Honestly, I still buy canned corn because it easy. I used to sell steamed corn when I was a kid, carry the basket around the village it was fun.

A few years ago my next door neighbours (to the south) had a 2,000 sq metre field of sweetcorn growing. They would sell it on the roadside. Why they stopped I don't know but I'd guess that it wasn't profitable. However, they have nothing growing there now.

I'm not aware that it's used much in Thai cooking, not in my neck of the woods anyway.

[Edit: after consulting with my wife I find that baby corn is used a little in cooking in the North West but generally sweet corn is eaten just as it is]

It is probably hard to compete on price with US corn, which is pretty heavily subsidized by the US government. Corn and soybeans are both big exports for US farmers, and these farmers have a lot of influence in Washington.

CD

That is so gorgeous - it would look great in a dish. But white could also look very interesting.

It is probably hard to compete on price with US corn, which is pretty heavily subsidized by the US government. Corn and soybeans are both big exports for US farmers, and these farmers have a lot of influence in Washington.

CD

If I remember correctly my neighbours were selling cobs for the equivalent of 60 cents for three (yellow).

1591869913772.png

White one look like this they call Khao Phod Khao Niew, Khao Phod mean corn, Khao Niew mean sticky rice. They name after the texture of corn seed, when you boil them the seed will so sticky really good feeling.

also have this
1591870128847.png

Like combination of purple yellow white, This one so cheap and easy to find at local site.

Back
Top Bottom