Thanksgiving

I'm anxiously awaiting my grocery delivery today. Going to try a new stuffing recipe with amaretto, walnuts and raisins.

In Years Gone by, my Thanksgiving tradition has always been basting the bird and cooking while watching The Twilight Zone Marathon. Sadly it wasn't on last year.

I've also decided that I don't want to be cooking all day long. It's just too much work. So, the plan is to go to an all you can eat buffet style place for Thanksgiving. They have chefs carving turkey, ham, pies, cakes, soft serve ice cream, rolls, dressing, cranberry sauce, all the usual comfort food side dishes. It's hard to screw up turkey and mashed potatoes and comfort food.Then I can cook the meal my way over the next few days.

Last edited:
I love turkey on xmas day! The night before i will bone the legs and roll them with a chestnut stuffing i make. This reduces the cooking time for the bird and provides a really tasty alternative to leg meat! I'll be doing this for Xmas this year so will post some photos once done!

I love turkey on xmas day! The night before i will bone the legs and roll them with a chestnut stuffing i make. This reduces the cooking time for the bird and provides a really tasty alternative to leg meat! I'll be doing this for Xmas this year so will post some photos once done!

Sounds wonderful. Some years I spatchcock the bird. For leftovers, I usually buy a boneless turkey breast (Butterball brand), and cook it in the slow cooker.

We had the TV on for background noise this past weekend when a vegetarian cooking show came on. The woman was making a "turkey." I didn't see how she made the turkey body, but did notice she was working with phyllo to make the wings and tail feathers. Couldn't believe how much work she put into it, just looked kind of odd to me. Called Craig's attention to it and told him I just didn't get it, all that work and it certainly didn't look like a turkey.

We had the TV on for background noise this past weekend when a vegetarian cooking show came on. The woman was making a "turkey." I didn't see how she made the turkey body, but did notice she was working with phyllo to make the wings and tail feathers. Couldn't believe how much work she put into it, just looked kind of odd to me. Called Craig's attention to it and told him I just didn't get it, all that work and it certainly didn't look like a turkey.

That does sound odd! There are plenty of vegan/vegetarian alternatives for Thanksgiving without resorting to faux turkeys!

Reminds me of the Everybody Loves Raymond episode, where Marie Barone made a tofu turkey. Lol.

There are some pretty interesting Thanksgiving dishes on TV this time of year. Although I did see a dish for pumpkin affogato that might be good. Pumpkin ice cream with black coffee poured over the top. I would probably top it with whipped cream and some chopped nuts and maybe some cinnamon.

So far no invites to T day dinner so i went out and got some good looking baking potatos, i got fixings for a pumpkin pie, i already have the makings for my green pea casserole, i still need to find some decent looking cucumbers and some apples for creamed cucumbers and an apple salad, last minute i will run out to get some of those kings Hawaiian sweet rolls. No one wants a vegetarian on turkey day...

This might be the first year i head out to the stores on T day for early black friday...i want that 10 in 1 Instant Pot and a store has it on sale starting on T day evening that is if i can't score it online first.

This Thursday, in the United States, it's Thanksgiving. It's one of, if not the biggest, cooking and eating holidays of the year. What's on your menu? What are you cooking up this Thanksgiving?

We usually travel for Thanksgiving. We'll head to upstate NY to celebrate with her sister and husband. This year it will just be me, the wife, and my son. One of my daughters/grandkids might stop by.

My wife requested an open face chicken pot pie for dinner. So that is what I'll serve.

I know I'm a blasphemer, but I'm overjoyed this year because I have - for the second year in a row - no obligation to make a traditional Thanksgiving meal or attend a place where one is served. There's so much work that goes into preparing all the various course that are expected in a Thanksgiving meal. And, if we're eating at my in-law's house, then you can be certain that that the turkey will be overcooked to the point of being sawdust. All the work that goes into the preparation, the setup, the actual serving of the courses, and the cleanup is so exhausting - mentally and physically - not to mention expensive. And, that assumes that what you serve is something that people like (reference: the sawdust turkey I mentioned previously). It's so taxing that I have a hard time enjoying the meal. I won't miss that one bit.

Having said that, I did enjoy when I fried a turkey 2 years ago. It was amazingly delicious, but I certainly don't miss the stress and all the work.

img_0242-jpg.jpg
img_0243-jpg.jpg

I will probably not be eating turkey when we eat out, but I'll see if the offerings at the restaurant look appealing.

That sounds interesting - what else goes into it?
!

Its a variation of the traditional green bean casserole without the green beans and mushroom soup. Two cans of sweet green peas, a can of diced potatos, and a can of cream of potato soup, french onions, half a soup can of milk, black pepper, lots of black pepper...mix it up...put in a casserole dish, uncovered...bake at 350°f...til milk is reduced and it is all bubbly...take shredded cheese( i usually use chedder jack) and cover the top put back in oven bake til melted...cover with more french onions put back in oven bake another 10 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom