Thanksgiving

I know I'm a blasphemer, but I'm overjoyed this year because I have - for the second year in a row - no obligation to make a traditional Thanksgiving meal or attend a place where one is served. There's so much work that goes into preparing all the various course that are expected in a Thanksgiving meal. And, if we're eating at my in-law's house, then you can be certain that that the turkey will be overcooked to the point of being sawdust. All the work that goes into the preparation, the setup, the actual serving of the courses, and the cleanup is so exhausting - mentally and physically - not to mention expensive. And, that assumes that what you serve is something that people like (reference: the sawdust turkey I mentioned previously). It's so taxing that I have a hard time enjoying the meal. I won't miss that one bit.

Having said that, I did enjoy when I fried a turkey 2 years ago. It was amazingly delicious, but I certainly don't miss the stress and all the work.

img_0242-jpg.jpg
img_0243-jpg.jpg

I will probably not be eating turkey when we eat out, but I'll see if the offerings at the restaurant look appealing.

Looks divine! I hear you though, about all the work, time, Etc that goes into that huge meal. That's why I opt for a buffet-style feast, on occasion. Then I can make the meal my way, at my leisure, and still have turkey sandwiches etc.

My brother and I used to have turns at Xmas lunch with turkey and the whole 9 yards. His wife is a terrible cook. Turkey always overlooked and about 2 cups of gravy to feed about 10. I love gravy but the tiny amount is a joke. Our side of the family still joke about her gravy. We don't do alternating now. Her portions were minuscule as well, like 1 potato each and half a parsnip etc. we were all hungry after lunch.

Russ

My friend's relatives used to invite me every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. They were both great cooks. Sometimes they would serve the meal buffet style. Help yourself, and take as much as you want. I always asked if there was something I could bring that they needed, or bring a dish I made myself.

Last edited:
This Thanksgiving, I spatchcocked my turkey and decided that aside from deep frying, this is the way to go. It was perfect.
30E4E2C1-D95A-4209-9FB1-3DB08F210916.jpeg

However, it was my Friday leftovers that stole the show this year:
Turkey Pot Pie
53DFF9FB-606D-4A55-BA52-332C9BB4D483.jpeg

BE59EADC-1082-461E-88A7-5265775076C5.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom