That one dish you just can't make?

whitakermk

Veteran
Local time
8:15 AM
Do you have that one dish that you just can't make? For me it took forever to be able to make a decent pie crust for some reason. Being able to fold an omelet without it breaking was a big thing as well. I tried making sushi once... yep, once. I may tackle that one again for fun.

Shortcrust pastry. I just can't get ir right. I've tried countless techniques but I just cannot get it to cook like it should. Maybe the problem is with my oven - it's a basic gas oven so doesn't heat up evenly.

I can't make most pastries and I have an issue preparing some types of souffle casseroles that drop down on me. Those things are just so tricky. Everything else seems pretty cut-and-cook.

I can't make an omelette to save my life, folding it and really making it without any breaks and crumbles is such a mission! I haven't given up though, I am determined to make it work and learn how to do it right! Another problem I've always had was making icing for my cakes and actually icing them well... I've recently asked for help here on the forum and I got some good suggestions so I'll be jumping in there to try again.

I'm with above posters. My shortcrust pastry is passable, but not good. It tends to be more miss than hit.

I am not good with anything that requires yeast. It is upsetting to me too because my father was an excellent baker, but it is all too scientific for me. I never get the dough to rise enough or somehow I beat it down too much after I shape it.

This is going to sound absolutely insane, but I cannot make rice crispy treats. They never turn out the right way. Either they are too soft and don't "set" or they are too hard, or any combination of the two. I can make just about anything else and have made meals that take intense patience and exact measurements, but I have given up on the simplest treat of them all!

Ironically enough, I can make everything else I set my mind to that is egg related. However, every time I attempt to make properly cooked sunny side up eggs, it ends in failure and disappointment. I must have tried every trick there is for what should honestly be a very simple recipe, but it just usually ends in me nearly burning the kitchen down. This is an afront to me, since I can make most other things like poached eggs or even scrambled; I just have issues with this one dish.

I am really bad at baking... I can cook things fine usually, and if they turn out bad I can usually fix it! Many times it doesn't turn out perfect but they are good to eat. However, baking is so hard for me! I can never get the measurements right, I'm not sure if my oven is too old or what is it, but I gave up trying to bake cakes and pies and will just buy those at the supermarket instead!

Breakfast I just can't seem to get it to all come out at the same time if it is more than 2 items or the family. Something is always going to be cold or over cooked.

Ha! I'm sure there are thousands of dishes, but it's only because I haven't taken the time to try. Even professional chefs have limited time to experiment once they've finished their training and are working full time. Some things are just too labor intensive for me to even want to attempt, and for that reason I am grateful there are restaurants!

The one dish that I have tried multiple times and it always messes up is chicken parmigiana. I love going out to eat and getting this. I always want to have this at home but I fail every time. I can never keep the chicken nice and crispy. It just becomes mushy chicken with tomato sauce. I will keep trying though.

Breakfast I just can't seem to get it to all come out at the same time if it is more than 2 items or the family. Something is always going to be cold or over cooked.
That's a great one! I can do it in the kitchen but we went camping a while back and had eggs, then a few minutes later pancakes, then several minutes later sausage! It was tasty but separated by many many minutes. And it mad for a funny story. The next morning we were eating in town as we shopped and I told my wife after we ordered "Hey honey.. the sausage is done!"

Back
Top Bottom