The Alphabet Game: Dishes using Za'atar

A dish I had just this last Tuesday.

Bami moo daeng (Egg noodle soup with char siu pork).

4 s.jpg

[Edit: "char siu" is Chinese. The Thai name is "Moo Daeng" - Pork red]

Last edited:
OK - Thai food it is! @Yorky, it would be interesting to hear any comments your wife may have about some of the dishes.

A is for:

Aep ong-o แอ็บอ่องออ - which I gather is an appetising dish of roughly chopped pig's brain mixed with egg and curry paste and grilled over a low fire, wrapped inside banana leaves.

Apparently (according to my wife) this dish originated in the north (west) of Thailand where she was born although she's never eaten it. She doesn't find it appetising at all (which is rich coming from someone who eats deep fried crickets!)

Chao guay เฉาก๊วย. Grass Jelly I have learned - but it looks black. I love black (comments from Thai experts welcomed).

A sweet snack (khanom). My wife doesn't how it's made or why it's black.

Mod Note: Just a quick note to explain that putting the Thai script into a post will put your post into moderation. There's a system monitoring non-Latin text and anything more than a couple of charactors goes it onto the moderation queue for double checking by the moderator team. The same applies to Chinese, Russian, Japanese scripts etc.

I'm sorry but I can't turn it off on a thread by thread basis. It's the entire board or not at all and it does prevent a lot of spam from ending up on the forum.

Also quoting someone who has put Thai script in their post will also get your's put into moderation unless you carefully edit the quote to remove said word(s). Single very short words will go through without issue. It's the number of Thai letters in the entire post, quotes included, that counts. I'm also not prepared to say what the limit is because boards are monitored by spammers to collect such information.

Unfortunately for this game the names of many Thai dishes are preceded by similar words, e.g. Khanom (sweet/snack/desert), Khow (rice), Kai (egg); so it may be better to exclude these words, or use the Anglecised translation.

In the case of "D" we have drunken noodles (Kwai tiaow phad kee mao) however, despite the name there is no alcohol included in this dish. Unlike the Malaysian Chinese dish "Drunken Prawns".

Yes angiecised is fine I think. We've always included that in previous alphabet games in this thread - especially as there are letters which simply don't exist in some alphabets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eggs and Pork Chinese Five-Spice Fragrant Stew - khai phalo muu saam chan het haawm'

This is an aromatic stew that leans into the sweet spectrum of the palate. An all-time Thai favorite, moo palo was introduced locally by the Chinese-Cantonese and Tae Chiew immigrants who flocked to the Kingdom in the early nineteenth century. The name of this dish originates from two Chinese words: pah ziah and lou.

IMG_5292.jpg

Recipe here - it sounds delicious!
https://thaifoodmaster.com/preparation/stew/686#.XR8nqS2ZOqA

Oddly enough its very similar to an old recipe I make. I haven't posted it here - will have to dig it out.

Last edited:
@Yorky do you do all the cooking, does your wife cook at all.?

Generally I do all the cooking if the food is other than Thai. However, she does prepare the batter and cook fish (which she also eats) and generally stir fries beef for chilli and chicken for curry because she reckons that I make a mess.

[Edit: I cooked the above Khow Phat Khung]

Last edited:
Generally I do all the cooking if the food is other than Thai. However, she does prepare the batter and cook fish (which she also eats) and generally stir fries beef for chilli and chicken for curry because she reckons that I make a mess.

My wife never cooks,lol, doesn't bother me. And I'm told I make a mess as well. Must be a guy thing?

Russ

Grilled mixed pork -Yang ruam mu

A northern Thai dish of different cuts of pork (including pig udder) that have been grilled. It is served with a dipping sauce.

1920px-2016_0919_Lunch_at_Long_Koi_Lap_Khom_04.jpg

Holy basil chicken - Bai gai-prow.

Holybasilchicken.jpg

I haven't cooked this dish myself yet but I've eaten it in restaurants.

Back
Top Bottom