The Bean Bag

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
3:51 AM
With the Coronavirus Crisis affecting so much, I took steps to build up my dry good stores. That included a variety of grains and Beans.

This situation gave me an opportunity to explore beans more closely, but I do have preferences, non-the-less.

So, among my beans, I include...

Multi-bean (13, 15 or 16) soup mixes
Black Beans
Lentils (Brown and Red)
Black-eyed Susans
Garbonzos

It's a short list, but still, a lot of beans.
If I couldn't get Black Beans, I might substitute Red Beans or Kidney Beans. I typically use Black Beans in Chilis, Burritos and as sides to Spanish-American dishes.

Lima Beans, I still buy frozen. Snow Peas are a favorite and I buy those fresh from the produce section. Soy Beans I usually get processed as Tofu. Other Bean Cakes may exist, but I haven't a clue what they might be. The only canned Beans I might include would be Refried.

I realize there is a huge variety of Beans available, but find it difficult to reason which to try and how they may be applied to specific meals.

My normal stock of dried and canned beans includes:

Pintos
Lentils
Black beans
Butter beans
Garbanzo
Kidney beans
Generic white beans

My stock...

15 bean (soup)
Black beans
Black eyed pea
Butter beans
Kidney beans
Lentils
Lima
Navy
Pinto
Split pea

I either use pork ham hocks or smoked turkey with onions and seasonings.

What do you do with split peas? they seems to have a bad press in the US (it seems all Americans hate mushy peas which are a UK tradition with fish and chips). Split peas make great mushy peas. Do you make soup with them?

Yes, split pea soup.

This is close to the way that I make mine.
Split Pea Soup

I've never had mushy peas but I watched a video someone here (I think?) posted. I put it on my list of things to try.

What do you do with split peas? they seems to have a bad press in the US (it seems all Americans hate mushy peas which are a UK tradition with fish and chips). Split peas make great mushy peas. Do you make soup with them?

I've tried mushy split peas and they did not appeal. I don't like canned peas either. I like crisp bright green peas from frozen foods.

I like snow peas even better, much preferred to string beans, etc.

My stock...

15 bean (soup)
Butter beans
Lima

I either use pork ham hocks or smoked turkey with onions and seasonings.

I had to look up Butter Beans, as I am not familiar. What I found is that Butter Beans are in fact, Lima Beans.

I had to look up Butter Beans, as I am not familiar. What I found is that Butter Beans are in fact, Lima Beans.

Yes. The name changes depending on the region. Both my grandmothers were from the South (USA) so we grew up calling them "butter beans". I rarely buy canned beans unless they are kidney beans for my chili (if I don't have time to long cook the beans) but here is a can showing how they are labeled in my area.

b49e9887-85b6-40f1-8336-b9380973f3dd.ba5696f7d438b253b3d39e152e74d37c.jpeg

Yes. The name changes depending on the region. Both my grandmothers were from the South (USA) so we grew up calling them "butter beans". I rarely buy canned beans unless they are kidney beans for my chili (if I don't have time to long cook the beans) but here is a can showing how they are labeled in my area.

View attachment 49914

Butter beans are a favourite of mine - I must have a recipe here somewhere...

Here we go: Recipe - Curried Beans with Black Stone Flower

I forgot to mention one other canned Beans favorite of mine, Campbell's Bean with Bacon Soup. I can snack on this stuff right out of the can, sometimes, make Bean Sandwiches with it or add water and do Bean w. Bacon Soup. I have even used the stuff in Burritos with Cheese. It's a quick and dirty do it all for Bean concoctions.

...and to make matters worse, we also have a separate, smaller, pale green bean that we call lima beans. :)

I finally got around to taking some pictures of my dry bean inventory ...

full.jpg

From left to right are garbanzo beans (check peas), 15 bean mix, red lentils, black beans, my personal mixed beans and black eyed susans.

Just a note... black eyed Susans are a flower. The beans are black eyed peas.

CD

Back
Top Bottom