The best seasonings for cod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustStarting

Local time
10:50 PM
I'm hoping to make a simple cod fillet; no batter no breading no cheese no sauce no butter no oil, the idea is for it to be light and healthy. I'm looking for some seasoning ideas that are:

Simple: it's not cost-effective if I have to go and buy 6 bottles of spices to cook one fish fillet

Inexpensive (if you have to question what my definition of inexpensive is, it's too expensive, LOL!)

Available at a regular grocery store

Can be used in the form it's purchased in, in other words doesn't require a separate recipe or preparation method before it can be sprinkled onto the cod

I'm not aspiring to anything gourmet or restaurant quality, just some stuff I can sprinkle on the cod to make it tasty. What are my best bets? :)

If you really want to keep it simple you could put lots of ground black pepper and any dried herbs that you have over the top, plus a bit of salt.

The only dried herbs I have are Italian seasoning, will that work? It seems to only appear in cod recipes when combined with crumbs and/or Parmesan...?

I only ever have blue cod beer battered. Our blue cod is nothing like your cod though. We also have red cod. I have never and will never eat it. I've never pan fried or grilled it either. Look forward to how you do it.

Russ

Someone in another group told me that Old Bay is good with cod. I have some spicy Old Bay that I used to make a really good dip; would cod be good spicy?

The only dried herbs I have are Italian seasoning, will that work? It seems to only appear in cod recipes when combined with crumbs and/or Parmesan...?

Yes - often with parmesan. You said no cheese but in fact Parmesan is very low calorie simply because you need so little of it. But you can use simply Italian seasoning, a little salt and lots of black pepper.

You could keep it very simple portuguese style with boiled potatoes and just olive oil and salt. Or look up
'bacalhau a lagareiro'. A simple but very tasty dish of cod, potatoes, garlic, herbs and olive oil. I'll type up a my version next time I get a piece of cod.

We recently had baked cod with a ghost pepper chile powder/honey glaze. I'll add more ghost powder next time, as the honey really tamed the heat.

You could keep it very simple portuguese style with boiled potatoes and just olive oil and salt. Or look up
'bacalhau a lagareiro'. A simple but very tasty dish of cod, potatoes, garlic, herbs and olive oil. I'll type up a my version next time I get a piece of cod.

It looks like a beautiful dish! It's too complicated for me, though, and my husband doesn't care for potatoes, so… Do you have any specific seasonings you recommend, other than salt?

We recently had baked cod with a ghost pepper chile powder/honey glaze. I'll add more ghost powder next time, as the honey really tamed the heat.

Is there something that can be used for the glaze other than honey? I thought too much about what honey is, so I can't eat it anymore, LOL!

Is there something that can be used for the glaze other than honey? I thought too much about what honey is, so I can't eat it anymore, LOL!

Agave maybe?

Regardless of how honey is produced, it is one of the cleanest and naturally long lasting foods there is. It is a natural antiseptic and is used in wound care by the medical profession. It's also a complex sugar and better for you than refined cane, beet or corn sugars.

Just FYI, the FDA allows a certain number of parts per million insect parts in processed food, so in all probability you are eating insects anyway...

Personally, I don't like the taste or smell of honey on its own, it'll actually make me retch a bit, but it's an indispensable ingredient. Glazes, salad dressings, desserts, binder...I use it all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom