The best ways to eat/use Marmite

Please give us a review. I'll spend my seven bucks elsewhere.

I think I'll be able to eat it by tomorrow. The lip is healing pretty quickly.

I've tried a handful of British staple foods. Heinz baked beans... bland. HP Sauce... horrible (but, I don't like A1 sauce, either). Bisto gravy granules... good starter base, just add some seasonings/spices and you have a good, quick gravy. I use that regularly.

There are some English teas I really like, too. Taylors of Harrogate is pricy, but I like it.

CD

I think I'll be able to eat it by tomorrow. The lip is healing pretty quickly.

I've tried a handful of British staple foods. Heinz baked beans... bland. HP Sauce... horrible (but, I don't like A1 sauce, either). Bisto gravy granules... good starter base, just add some seasonings/spices and you have a good, quick gravy. I use that regularly.

There are some English teas I really like, too. Taylors of Harrogate is pricy, but I like it.
I have no problem with British cuisine. We have adopted a lot of it here. I love fish and chips. My problem is reading the label on your jar and imagining spending money on it. :wink:

Got this today:

20230825_120108.jpg

I bought some cheap, plain white bread today. I'll make some toast later. My lip and tongue are fully healed.

CD

I bought some cheap, plain white bread today. I'll make some toast later. My lip and tongue are fully healed.

CD

Now here is the thing about using it on toast. You need butter to lubricate, otherwise the Marmite clumps and doesn't spread. If you use toast, the butter melts into the toast and the Marmite doesn't spread as easily so its easy to use too much Marmite and it still clumps (trapped by the rough texture of the toast). This is fine if you are a Marmite lover but not so fine for a first taste.

So, for a Marmite 'newbie' this isn't the best way. If you can be bothered to pre-mix a bit of Marmite with softened butter then problem solved and you can spread it on toast. Otherwise I really would suggest starting by using softened butter on slice of un-toasted bread with less than a quarter of a tsp of Marmite gently applied and smoothed over the butter.

If you try to spread a small amount over toasted bread (butter or no butter) it will be very difficult to get it to spread evenly.

Now here is the thing about using it on toast. You need butter to lubricate, otherwise the Marmite clumps and doesn't spread. If you use toast, the butter melts into the toast and the Marmite doesn't spread as easily so its easy to use too much Marmite and it still clumps (trapped by the rough texture of the toast). This is fine if you are a Marmite lover but not so fine for a first taste.

So, for a Marmite 'newbie' this isn't the best way. If you can be bothered to pre-mix a bit of Marmite with softened butter then problem solved and you can spread it on toast. Otherwise I really would suggest starting by using softened butter on slice of un-toasted bread with less than a quarter of a tsp of Marmite gently applied and smoothed over the butter.

If you try to spread a small amount over toasted bread (butter or no butter) it will be very difficult to get it to spread evenly.

My plan was to toast the bread for texture, cut a slice in half. Spread butter on one half, and peanut butter on the other. Then, a VERY light coating of Marmite.

CD

You could probably even crush the crisps and cover some chicken wings with them. Then dip em into some cheese dip

I completely forgot about this little challenge. But, I remembered it about an hour ago. I finally tried it. I tried it on plain white toast with a layer of butter, and another toast with a generous spread of peanut butter. I used maybe a quarter teaspoon of Marmite.

Toast with butter -- almost spit it out, but made myself chew it up and swallow it. Nuff' said about that. :eek:

Toast with peanut butter -- tolerable. Not something I'll ever get a craving for, but I didn't feel an "urge to purge" it. :meh:

By the way, it was not the excessive saltiness that was the biggest turn-off, although that was not helping. There was something else that I can't put my finger... er, tastebuds on. I'm guessing that yeast was involved.

Now I can at least say that I've tried it. Was it the worst thing I've ever eaten? No, not by a long shot. Will I ever eat it again? No.

Now, I can imagine it might work as an ingredient in something, but I have no idea what. I'll never know, because it is heading for the "bin." :laugh:

CD

That's a good list. When you've tried Marmite perhaps you want to consider it's meaty cousin:

IMG_1873.jpg

Back
Top Bottom