The best ways to eat/use Marmite

I completely forgot about this little challenge. But, I remembered it about an hour ago. I finally tried it. I tried it on plain white toast with a layer of butter, and another toast with a generous spread of peanut butter. I used maybe a quarter teaspoon of Marmite.

Toast with butter -- almost spit it out, but made myself chew it up and swallow it. Nuff' said about that. :eek:

Toast with peanut butter -- tolerable. Not something I'll ever get a craving for, but I didn't feel an "urge to purge" it. :meh:

By the way, it was not the excessive saltiness that was the biggest turn-off, although that was not helping. There was something else that I can't put my finger... er, tastebuds on. I'm guessing that yeast was involved.

Now I can at least say that I've tried it. Was it the worst thing I've ever eaten? No, not by a long shot. Will I ever eat it again? No.

Now, I can imagine it might work as an ingredient in something, but I have no idea what. I'll never know, because it is heading for the "bin." :laugh:

CD

I've never seen anyone pair it with peanut butter, but can't say I've peered into that many kitchens across the UK at breakfast time...

I've never seen anyone pair it with peanut butter, but can't say I've peered into that many kitchens across the UK at breakfast time...

Some brits on this forum recommended peanut butter and marmite. It was definitely a better way to go than just butter.

CD

When you've tried Marmite perhaps you want to consider it's meaty cousin
…and after that, its fishy friend:

IMG_5974.jpeg

X or Twitter or whatever it is now

Delicious!
The very first time I went into a British grocery store, it was a Tesco, in 1992.

I was so thrilled with my whole situation, because I’d sort of orchestrated my getting stationed in the UK, and I was just generally very pleased with myself, and there I was, just moved to England, just gotten the keys to the house we were renting, and the first thing I did was go to the pub, then the very next thing I did was go to Tesco.

I was walking through, in a dream, shoes not touching the floor, marveling at all the interesting and unusual delights (“Look, you’ve got to put a coin in the shopping basket to get one, how clever!” and “Toffee Crisp?! I love toffee…and I love crispy things, I must have one!”) - I’m sure all the Brits thought I was bonkers, floating around with a dopey, besotted look on my face: “What’s this?! Potato chips, er, crisps?! And they’re pickled onion?! Truly, I was born for this moment! Thank you, British Jesus, whomever you are!”

Then I happened upon…

“Bloater paste?! And what a cute little jar! What wonderful taste must be contained inside this delightful wee treasure?!” - I wondered, probably aloud.

“Excuse me,” I asked another shopper, “I’m, um, not from around here*, could you tell me what this fine product is?!” - and I showed her the jar I held, marked “Bloater Paste.”

“Yeah, um, that’s bloater paste, says so right there.”

“Forgive me, but what exactly is bloater paste, hmmmmm?!”

“Well, it’s paste…made from bloaters, in’nit.”

<Me, still displaying a goofy, non-comprehending expression>

“Fish. It’s fish. Fish paste.”

That’s when it all came to a needle-dragged-across-a-record screeching halt for me. I think I sort of blanked that whole unpleasantness out until now. Triggered by meat paste! 😱

*The fact that I was wearing the uniform of a U.S. Air Force staff sergeant wasn’t obvious enough, I suppose :laugh:

I can get it on line. Possibly Waitrose as you say.
I just had a genuine laugh - I thought, “If there’s Gentleman’s Relish, there certainly should be Lady’s Relish as well…”

So I did a quick Google search, and look at the very first hit:

IMG_5996.jpeg

Which leads to:

The Lady’s Relish

Way to represent, Morning Glory ! ✊

Back
Top Bottom