The Cookbook Game #1

OK, MG thinks I should give you a "HEADS UP" here and now on what is planned for the next game.

The Cookbook # is 33 and/or

Your Cookbook whose authors last name starts with J

Thanks - I will get planning. We will launch the new game on Sunday. :okay:

Thanks - I will get planning. We will launch the new game on Sunday. :okay:
@cookieee In future, when a deadline is agreed upon, I'd prefer that it is not shortened. Extended yes but not shortened unless all players agree to it.
Plus it would be nice if rounds didn't overlap. There's enough going on on the forum as out is without overlapping round off the same game. Thank you.

@cookieee In future, when a deadline is agreed upon, I'd prefer that it is not shortened. Extended yes but not shortened unless all players agree to it.
Plus it would be nice if rounds didn't overlap. There's enough going on on the forum as out is without overlapping round off the same game. Thank you.

Yes, I agree - its so much simpler if games follow on from one another. The deadline for this game remains the same: 12.00 midday (GMT+1) Tuesday 20th August.

But I did say to @cookieee that we could advance the date of the launch of the next game a day or so this time round (as its a new game here) so its my fault! Guilty as charged! In future we stick to the protocol and post the new game after the old one finishes.

Moving on...(and more importantly), I have an idea for another entry for this game. And I have time to do it! :happy:

Last edited:
Lets start it on Sunday then as a compromise - I reckon all entries for this game will be in by then. I'll temporarily hold your new Challenge thread. I PM.d you too.

Starting Sunday sounds good to me. I plan to do a grocery run tomorrow morning to begin with -- and living rural and far from a real supermarket these days I'd appreciate not having to return during the rest of the coming week. (No I don't always shop on Sundays, but this week it's what is logistically convenient.)

Last edited:
Risotto de Zucca (Pumpkin Risotto)

fullsizeoutput_4f72.jpeg

Review:

This is a lovely, simple recipe. The most difficult task is de-seeding and chopping up the pumpkin. The flavours of the rosemary and pumpkin work magically together and its a combination I’ll be using in other dishes. It tasted beautiful. I couldn’t eat a whole portion but that is just me and risotto, but it was eagerly scoffed by my partner, who loved it.

I divided the recipe in half and followed it as closely as possible. The one (minor) issue I came across was that the recipe states:
The pumpkin will automatically exude some liquid and so no water needs to be added. Cook for about 20 minutes or until the pumpkin softens and dissolves.
I think that probably pumpkins will vary in their water content. I found after 10 minutes it wasn't exuding any water and the pan was dryng out. So I added just a little of the chicken stock (after all, it was to be in the risotto anyway). That did the trick and if softened beautifully.

My only other comment is that chicken stock and pumpkins will vary in their taste. I think the stock I used might have been a little too strong in contrast to the pumpkin. I think vegetable stock could be used instead or a lighter stock. At any rate, I'd suggest using a light stock, to allow the pumpkin flavour to shine through.

I recommend this recipe to risotto lovers. The taste really is lovely.

Last edited:
Even though I'm not really a fan of pumpkin, the dish might be something I would like.

MG- CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!!!!
You are the first one to play the game with "3" entry's. That just might go in my record book. lol

I think you are really getting your money's worth out of that cookbook. It does look really beautiful. I do love squash.

Thanks again so much for playing (and everything else)

I think you are really getting your money's worth out of that cookbook. It does look really beautiful. I do love squash.

I can honestly say I'd never have cooked these dishes I have if it hadn't been for this great game! I'm learning new things - and enjoying the food photography aspect too.

I can honestly say I'd never have cooked these dishes I have if it hadn't been for this great game! I'm learning new things - and enjoying the food photography aspect too.
MG, you make me so happy and glad that I am able to share my game here. I hope others will be able to enjoy their cookbooks like you have.

Are the pictures of your dish or from the cookbook?

Back
Top Bottom