The Cookbook Game #2

cookieee

Local time
3:11 PM
Welcome to The Cookbook Game #2

What is the game all about and how do we play it?

The game is all about your cookbooks. If you are like me, you have cookbooks that have just been sitting on the shelves and haven't been opened in years. What a waste. This game is designed to change that.

First, count how many cookbooks you have. For each game, I will pick a number and that will be the cookbook you will be using for that game. If you don't have that # of cookbooks, count over till you reach that number. Then post what cookbook you will be using and tell us something about that book, if you want to. Then pick a recipe to make. The recipe should be a one you haven't made before. Post the recipe in full as a new thread and place a link back to it in this thread. Please include the title of the cookbook and the date of publication.

The Cookbook Game is all about getting us to use our unused/little used cookbooks and providing a review of your chosen recipe(s). In the spirit of the game, you are asked to stay as close as possible to the printed recipe, so please choose a recipe that appeals to you as it stands, for which you can readily obtain the ingredients and for which you won’t need to make major substitutions or additions. If, in the course of making the recipe, you find you need to make minor adjustments to get it to work (for example, increasing the cooking time to ensure the dish is properly cooked through, for health and safety reasons) then please explain what you did and why, in the recipe review.

This game's cookbook number is 33 and/or a cookbook author/last name starting with a J

The deadline to play is 2 weeks from today - until midday Sunday 1st September (GMT +1)

Happy Cooking

Last edited by a moderator:
Members, please note that there is a new tag for this game which you need to add when posting recipes as new threads. The tag is 'the cookbook game #2'. `if you start typing it in the tags field, it should appear in a drop-down menu. The new tag ensures that your recipes remain linked to this thread.

Oddly enough although I've got over 150 cookbooks I only seem to have two authors/chefs whose surname begins with J.

Madhur Jaffrey (of course) and a vintage American book by Jay Jacobs, which has recipes from famous restaurants. Still deciding...

Why decide? Knowing you, you could use both. lol Or all three. lol

#33 cookbook: The New Book of Soups, by Anne Sheasby.

I'm thinking of 2 recipes therein.

And then of course if I can, I'll hit up Madhur Jaffrey as well...
That's what I like to hear. Glad you came back MC.

My cookbook #33 is "Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook"

"J" authors are:
Jaffrey, Madhur - 1 cookbook
Jamison, Cheryl and Bill - 4 cookbooks by them
Jue, Joyce - 1 cookbook

Back later, lot of reading to do.

Oh boy, the first CB I looked at (Joyce Jue) I have already found 4 recipes would love DH to make and I am only on page 56. How is everyone else doing?

Completely unsure so far! My #33 is an interesting vintage book: Flavours of Spain by Jan Read and Maite Manjón. I have a few ideas but I'm still trying to find something where I already have most of the ingredients.

I wanted to shop this morning but alas the credit card web site went fubar until just recently, so I could not move moolah to it until just now. I hate shopping in crowds, so I will go tomorrow morning.

ATM I am planning on making, from The New Book of Soups. Both are supposedly light soups, which works in this humid weather.

Hot and Sweet Vegetable and Tofu Soup (Thai)

Pea Soup with Prosciutto.

I'll worry about the Madhur Jaffrey book next week - and I may actually have ingredients here for her recipes to begin with.

This is my book #33:
DD6BB87C-FE84-47BC-9420-3CDE5C840530.jpeg

I'll be making what Mr. Kimball refers to as Snipdoodle Cookies, but what I know as Snickerdoodle Cookies. They happen to be my wife's favorite cookie.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/lemon-chicken-medallions-china.16045

This recipe is from the "Asian Appetizers" cookbook by Joyce Jue, pub. 1991. Another book I have never used. I am leaving the bookmarks in the other recipes for another time. It is a very lovely cookbook. It lists a lot of very informative information on Asian ingredients. Like "Golden Mountain Sauce" a store brand suited for Thai cooking. (must remember that name for the next sauce challenge. lol) I am very glad to rediscover this book

This was dinner tonight. Yes, it was delicious and very lemony. DH served it over Basmati rice and broccoli.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom