The Cookbook Game #2

So far, we don't have a recipe picked out to make. That's one of the problems with big cookbooks. So much to choose from. lol

How is everyone else doing?

We could use a few more players. How about some of our new members? Or if you are a guest, it's easy to join the forum, and then you too will be able to play. Come on, have some good times and use your cookbooks along with us.

I am guilty of not posting more on the cumin thread because I feel like I have more time to get to that thread than some of the other threads.

We finally decided on what to make from our cookbook. I am not typing it up until DH comes back from the butcher and he has what we need.
Hint: It's a steak recipe, and I told DH if the butcher wants too much for this cut of beef, forget it, we will find something else to make. lol

Puff, puff, have to catch my breath. Just lifted the next cookbook we will be using, down from the shelf. it is so big and heavy, whew, with 527 pages, (not counting the 19 pages of index). It is one of our "J" cookbooks. "The Big Book of Outdoor Cooking & Entertaining" by Cheryl & Bill Jamison-pub. 2006. It has more than 850 recipes. I am going to list just 4 categories that have the most recipes according to what is written on the back cover. 154 things to do with seafood - 89 spice blends,rubs,marinades, and mops - 76 barbecue sauces,salsas, and relishes - and - 58 chicken dishes. ok, 1 more lol - 25 perfect sunset drinks.

I see a few of my red check marks. That means I made a copy of the recipe, but not necessarily made the recipes. Back later with a recipe , I hope.
OK, here is what DH picked to make.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/strip-steaks-with-caramelized-shallot-butter.16123/

Another J book from the Jamison's. "Born to Grill" Cheryl and Bill Jamison pub. 1998 - Not as big as the other one, but still big. 490 pages, 10 pages of index, with 300 recipes. No photo's, just drawings of some of the recipes. And a few red check marks.

Another J book from the Jamison's. "Born to Grill" Cheryl and Bill Jamison pub. 1998 - Not as big as the other one, but still big. 490 pages, 10 pages of index, with 300 recipes. No photo's, just drawings of some of the recipes. And a few red check marks.
So far, according to my records, we have only made 1 recipe from this book. It was about 3 years ago, DH made "Apple Chicken Sausage Kebobs". DH liked it so much he wanted to make it again. Never got around to it. Shame we can't make it for the game. lol

So far, according to my records, we have only made 1 recipe from this book. It was about 3 years ago, DH made "Apple Chicken Sausage Kebobs". DH liked it so much he wanted to make it again. Never got around to it. Shame we can't make it for the game. lol

Labor day weekend coming up, good excuse to make it.

Hubby helped with the cooking of a new warm pasta salad dish. We ran into one our two problems but I'll cover those in the next few days when I get chance to breath. It's however, a recipe I think we'd like to repeat at home with our kitchen utensils and pots and pans. Out would be easier. Today we resorted to buying a bread board to double as a chipping board and 2 ceramic sharp knives so we can actually cut things with a knife rather than try to tear through them. I've met sharper spoons than my sister's knives. We'll leave them for her.

We are at the half-way mark for this game. Here is what's happening, so far.

6 players
6 players found a cookbook
4 people posted a recipe title
3 people made their recipe
2 people posted their recipe

Come on guy's, we can do better than this. lol

One more, at least, this week coming up from me. Its going to be from Flavours of Spain: A gastronomic journey by Jan Read & Maite Manjón (1978). This is partly a travalogue and partly a history of gastronomy in Spain (Jan Read was an historian). The book is packed full of detailed facts about the various regions of Spain and their food & wine with recipes from each region. The book is illustrated with black and white historical prints and vintage black and white photographs although the recipes themselves aren't illustrated.

The recipe I'm making is Sopa de Avellanas (Hazlenut Soup) from the Asturias region. The main ingredients: hazlenuts, saffron, breadcrumbs,, garlic stock.

Hi everyone

Before you know it, it will be time for me to pick the number for the cookbook we will be using next. I was wondering if you all wouldn't mind telling me how many cookbooks you are working with. No sense picking a number that is too high and have everyone counting over and over. lol Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom